• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 reactor noise

wormvortex

I’ve just changed from using an in tank diffuser to an external reactor. I’m currently using this one:

I set it all up and it runs perfectly and quiet and is filled with water. However when I turn the co2 on the gas pushes some of the water out and I have a pocket of air at the top. This in turn causes the whole reactor to make a whiting and water sound.

I assume the reactor is working right as my bubble counter is showing around 1bpm and I don’t see bubbles inside the tank.

Is this how it’s supposed work or should the entire reactor be filled with water like it is being I turn on the co2.

Here is a photo where you can see at the top what I mean.

IMG_5110.jpeg

I like it. Has almost entirely eliminated any co2 bubbles which coming from a ceramic disk is amazing.

I did however need to use a couple of hose lock connectors as it was not watertight just by sliding the tubes onto the reactor I found. Would have been nice to see something like that built into this or some clips provided but wasn’t a deal breaker.

Only issue I’m still having which seems to be common to reactors is after cleaning out the filter and is extremely difficult now to reprime it and get it started.

Perhaps some isolation valves on the canister tubing would help if you don't have those already?

Is this how it’s supposed work or should the entire reactor be filled with water like it is being I turn on the co2.
Yes and no. In a well designed configuration where flow and reactor are properly matched, you should have some CO2 build up but nothing major. If your water flow is too high or CO2 injection is too high in relation to the reactor size, then you can have a significant amount of CO2 build up (or CO2 escapes) which is detrimental because it is creating back-pressure, and CO2 is not dissolving efficiently, obviously. I am not sure how much of a CO2 build up you have though.

Only issue I’m still having which seems to be common to reactors is after cleaning out the filter and is extremely difficult now to reprime it and get it started.
That's why we usually fit a bleeding valve at the top of the reactor to remove air when the reactor is being filled for the first time. You could drill a small hole and glue a nipple to which you would connect a valve (or simply glue the valve directly in the hole). This way, when you clean your reactor and fill it back, you just open the valve while the water is filling the reactor. Air will escape and you don't have to dance with the reactor to remove the air.

Note the small valve with the red cap at the end of the tubbing.
IMG_9922.jpg

Last edited:
Back