• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 reactor valve

Karacticus

I have just set up a new CO2 reactor, but what do I do with this valve thing? No instructions with the reactor. Is it a bleed valve, in which case how do I use it? Or is it a valve to let the CO2 into the reactor?

Does it need to be screwed closed or left open?

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• 20230903_133156.jpg
    20230903_133156.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 148
  • 20230903_133147.jpg
    20230903_133147.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
Hi
Needs to be left open to allow co2 to flow into the reactor, can be adjusted to control rate of co2 like a bubble counter/needle valve.
Cheers

Hey Karacticus, I know this thread is a few months old but I am hoping to get some insight from your experience. I'm looking to install a similar reactor on my 120p connected to an Oase 850 biomaster. I've read multiple accounts of air build-up in these reactors which could pose a problem through continued usage. Are you facing such issues? I was hoping what you pointed out was an actual bleed valve to let the air out 😅. But I guess not. Also, how has your reactor fared thus far? I see that you didn't use any additional media in the reactor, is the flow rate healthy that way? (Sorry for the questions)

I have the same reactor. When cleaning the filters or reactor sometimes air gets in but can be bled from the valve. No air build up during general usage.

I will say the reactor gets quite noisy (gurgling/glugging) if you're pushing a lot of CO2.

Hey Karacticus, I know this thread is a few months old but I am hoping to get some insight from your experience. I'm looking to install a similar reactor on my 120p connected to an Oase 850 biomaster. I've read multiple accounts of air build-up in these reactors which could pose a problem through continued usage. Are you facing such issues? I was hoping what you pointed out was an actual bleed valve to let the air out 😅. But I guess not. Also, how has your reactor fared thus far? I see that you didn't use any additional media in the reactor, is the flow rate healthy that way? (Sorry for the questions)
same setup here
IMG_5136.jpeg

3 years in use and I’m definitely not going back to diffuser. Reactor gets noisy when CO2 pocket builds up but diffusion rate is awesome and 0 maintenance. Added Y split on to valve for easy degassing after filter maintenance. By the way filter is burping only during photosynthesis.

I have the same reactor. When cleaning the filters or reactor sometimes air gets in but can be bled from the valve. No air build up during general usage.

I will say the reactor gets quite noisy (gurgling/glugging) if you're pushing a lot of CO2.
Hey LightingBamboozled, thank you for getting back to me on this!

I see, so I can use it as a bleed valve of sorts. Okay understood. Will probably leave it open during the first time and post-maintenance, to fill up the reactor chamber.
Looking at 4-5 BPS, not too sure if that is considered a lot of CO2

same setup here View attachment 213576
3 years in use and I’m definitely not going back to diffuser. Reactor gets noisy when CO2 pocket builds up but diffusion rate is awesome and 0 maintenance. Added Y split on to valve for easy degassing after filter maintenance. By the way filter is burping only during photosynthesis.

Oh wow! Thank you very much, now I don't have to imagine how it's going to look like haha!

I see, so the Y split you mentioned, I assume it's not in this attached image yea? It would extend out of the valve, correct? (one being the CO2 and the other for degassing as you mentioned).
It's great to learn that you've been running this setup for 3 years! I've been on the fence for quite awhile now and you've just helped me make my decision to do it this way.

I guess I can't do much about the filter burping due to photosynthesis. On the same note, I discovered on past threads that you have tried the method of 'drilling a hole in the pre-filter cap'. Did this help you with releasing the built-up O2 gas resulting from photosynthesis?

I see, so the Y split you mentioned, I assume it's not in this attached image yea? It would extend out of the valve, correct?
Attached picture for this one. The feed with check valve is feeding CO2 and the other one with tap is for degassing. For degassing I’m using 250ml plastic water bottle. So tap output hose goes into bottle.
IMG_7230.jpeg

I discovered on past threads that you have tried the method of 'drilling a hole in the pre-filter cap'. Did this help you with releasing the built-up O2 gas resulting from photosynthesis?
I wasn’t brave enough to modify filter and void warranty. Instead what helped me was good food grade silicone grease on all seals including the one in the primer pump and jubilee clips on all hoses. Also I did shorten the hoses to minimise the bends and replaced matrix back with original media for better flow. There are still occasional burps during photosynthesis which I’m happy to live with. At least it’s not burping all day long and not filling up the reactor with air anymore 😁👍

Last edited:
Just a note, I would say never shut the valve on the reactor, the pressure from the CO2 can damage it and then it will leak! as some have experienced, I have been using mine for almost 3 years also! love it! never going back either! lol

Just a note, I would say never shut the valve on the reactor, the pressure from the CO2 can damage it and then it will leak! as some have experienced, I have been using mine for almost 3 years also! love it! never going back either! lol
Omg did this once but luckily no harm done to my reactor

Last edited:
Back