• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Reactors without PH Controller

LostMud

Would it be sound to run a CO2 Reactor with just a CO2 solenoid valve?
PH controllers cost quite a bit and I'm thinking of monitoring my drop checker to determine the BPM of CO2 injection and set the solenoid timer accordingly. Most online suggest a PH controller with CO2 rector usage.
I'm just wondering if it's possible to head down the usual solenoid timer route and determine the optimum CO2 injection needed instead of the PH controller.

Thats how most people do it - adjusting injection rate based on pH profile or drop checker colour. pH controllers aren't necessary, and in my opinion are a bit of a risk.

I see, thank you very much for your feedback on this!

I have used both, using pH controller at first. Once the CO2 injection rate and flow in tank was sorted I found not ising a pH controller better as I achieved a more stable [CO2] for the photo period.
I was using a PLC for the CO2 timings, which helped.

Also have done both, and personally, after buying a pH controller on a whim, I would not go without one in a high tech set up. It just makes things easier, IMO. However, there's no reason that it is necessary. It definitely takes a bit more adjusting without, but it is not a concern. Most do not use pH controllers.

I have used both, using pH controller at first. Once the CO2 injection rate and flow in tank was sorted I found not ising a pH controller better as I achieved a more stable [CO2] for the photo period.
I was using a PLC for the CO2 timings, which helped.
Oh wow, I will probably have to read up more about PLCs, not too familiar with setting them up. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Also have done both, and personally, after buying a pH controller on a whim, I would not go without one in a high tech set up. It just makes things easier, IMO. However, there's no reason that it is necessary. It definitely takes a bit more adjusting without, but it is not a concern. Most do not use pH controllers.
I see, thank you for your feedback! Might give it a go without and see what problems I create for myself 😅

Oh wow, I will probably have to read up more about PLCs, not too familiar with setting them up. Thank you for sharing your experience!
PLC are not cheap by any means, but if you pockets are deep enough and like a bit of DIY and prepared to learn some Logical for the coding of the software (which was fun IMO, myself or @ian_m could help) there is no better timmer. Plus Ians 'TankyMyTank' software for adjusting timings is excellent.

As with others, once your tank is matured and you have found the BPM sweetspot, its unlikely to need much adjusting above your normal water testing routine,

You do not mention if your solenoid is 12v DC or 240v AC mains, but plenty of cheap simple mains timers around ranging from mechanical. lcd or smart as below.
Various other timers around that allow you to switch 12v DC, the ones below Mains switching only.

Screenshot from 2023-12-11 15-17-07.png
Screenshot from 2023-12-11 15-15-37.png
Screenshot from 2023-12-11 15-15-12.png

Back