• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 relationship to KH

This question is difficult to prove experimentally
Not really, if Tonina can be grown in moderate kh levels your theoretical observations are mute, however, I suspect your observations are correct and most folks have success with this plant under lean dosing regimes, and low alkalinity. But... and there is always a but. 😀

Last edited:
I think that aquatic plants prefer dissolved carbon dioxide over dissociated carbon dioxide, though both go together.
A drop checker is the way forward though response is slow. An even slower but very reliable measure is snail shell thickness/colour.
Water of pH 8 and above and you are on an hiding to nothing. Nip the carbonate/hydroxide down to at least the bicarbonate with dilute hydrochloric acid. (Take care)
In artificial waters of our planted tank's pH and permanent hardness may not be related.

Last edited:
An even slower but very reliable measure is snail shell thickness/colour.

For anybody trying to tune in co2 via snail shell attrition this is what a 2yr old nerite looks like under sustained 1 ph drops.
20231017_184616.jpg

Last edited:
tune in co2 via snail shell attrition
My ramshorn snails, at about shirt button size, are pale and very thin shelled. I think that I have a balance between CO2 addition and a small self sustaining snail population. I assume the amano shrimps clean up the bodies.

Hi all,
Bit of a bummer for the snails in the bioassay though
Yes, agreed I don't think "bioassay organism" is ever a great thing to be, I'd put it up there with "potential organ donor" & "crash test dummy".
......... Unfortunately we can't use either BOD test or biotic index for the aquarium, but we can use the health of a floating plant (floating to remove CO2 from the equation) as an indication of nutrient status. Sadly a lot of people use fish with high demands on water quality as a proxy biotic index, and rapidly kill off Hill-stream Loaches, large rheophilic plecs, Chocolate Gourami, Tropheus etc.........
Having said that I only originally had one Seminole Ramshorn (Planorbella duryi) snail (in ~2008) and these are all its descendents, so I've never ill treated them enough to wipe out the population.

I'm a great believer in <"finding livestock"> that will thrive in the conditions you can easily provide, rather than changing the parameters to suit the fish you want to keep. If I used our tap water I'd keep hard water livestock (and plants), and if I had very soft tap water and rain-water without any carbonate buffering? I'd keep "black-water" fish. Having said that <"adding salts to water"> is pretty easy, it is removing them that is problematic.

I actually maintain the dGH and dKH at a level that allows the survival of self-maintaining Physella acuta, Planorbella duryi and Melanoides tuberculata populations, because I'm a <"big snail fan">.

I don't keep snails that won't reproduce successfully in soft water, or definitely need <"harder water">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back