• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Confused with pH and co2

jwmachon

So tank is 10 days old growing nicely

Tank parameters
GH 8
KH 3/4

Soil Tropica aquarium soil

Degassed tank water with airstone 7.7
pH of tank water prior to co2 6.8
pH of tank water during photo period 6.4/6.5
Drop checker lime green

My question confusion is that degassed water is 7.7 however even with decent surface agitation pH of tank won't go above 6.9 in like 18 hours and drop checker only goes to a darker green

I believe my soil is having an effect and lowering pH, but taking this into account am I injecting enough Co2

Many thanks

My question confusion is that degassed water is 7.7 however even with decent surface agitation pH of tank won't go above 6.9 in like 18 hours and drop checker only goes to a darker green

I believe my soil is having an effect and lowering pH, but taking this into account am I injecting enough Co2

I've never had a tank where the drop checker solution goes back to blue, despite surface agitation, and even on a tank with a wet/dry trickle filter and a CO2 target half that of the typical 30ppm, so don't be concerned if your pH doesn't come back to that of your degassed sample.

Your soil may well lower your pH but that should be reflected in your degassed sample as well as your tank water measurement - it also won't affect drop checker colour.

Back