• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Correct bulb for Metal Halide.

Markmark

Hi,
I have been looking at upgrading my lighting for some time and pricing up a T5 luminaire I made an impulsive bid and am now the proud owner of an Aquamedic 150watt halide with suspension kit.
Can anyone shed any light( excuse the pun) if I need to replace the current 10k with a 6500k or plant specific bulb.
Thanks

Hello,
There is actually no such thing as plant specific bulb. All visible light grows plants, so only replace your bulb if you don't like the color cast it produces in the tank.

Cheers,

Many thanks Ceg for a quick reply. I'm sure the colour will be fine and if I can save a few quid then thats a bonus. Should I drop the photoperiod right down from my current 7 hours on 24 watt t5 and then slowly increase over several weeks?

Well it's not clear to me what size tank you have but if you currently have a 24 watt bulb and you then pummel the plants with 150 watts of halide lighting you're in for some real trouble no matter how many hours you reduce the lighting by. Increasing the wattage of the bulb by a factor of 6 produces a 36X energy level increase which is going to be difficult for the tank to endure. In this case I suggest that you raise the distance of the Halide a significant distance above the water in order to lower the energy input to the tank. This then results in light spillage out into the room which can be attenuated by installing some type of vertical shade.

I don't think this was a very good purchase at all because to be able to use all that energy without incurring massive algal blooms will require that your flow, nutrient dosing and CO2 now have to be at epic levels. If you can find a lower wattage bulb that is compatible with the socket and ballast then that would solve a lot of problems.

Cheers,

Hi, your comments are most appreciated. In my haste I did forget to mention that it was for a new set up I am planning and will post as a journal in due time. New tank spec as follows.

75x45x45 optiwhite
2 x fluval 205's
fe co2
TPN, TPN+ and easy carbo

I just felt that to achieve a lush carpet at 45cm depth then 24watts may not cut it.

Hi,
Well, 150 watts over a 40G tank is a lot of light. Carpets don't require massive lighting to be lush although they can become lush faster with high lighting - but this is only if the high lighting is met with high nutrients, high flow and most importantly, high CO2. People make this mistake all the time thinking that lot's of light is required to grow plants. They don't realize that CO2 + nutrients + water grows plants and that light is the energy source by which CO2/nutrients/water are turned into food which is what fuels growth.

Imagine you had a house plant and were pumping massive lighting at it every day hydroponic style. Think about what would happen if you forgot to add water. The plant would soon shrivel to a look like a potato crisp right? Well, plants in water don't suffer lack of water but instead they suffer lack of CO2. People are forever forgetting that plants are made of Carbon, not light. Coal, the remains of giant forests, is Carbon. The Carbon that is the structure of plants can only come from the carbon in CO2. The result therefore of poor CO2 is that you have a carpet of lush mush. You'd have much better luck concentrating on optimizing CO2, flow, nutrients and distribution than you would throwing lots of light at a plant.

With the level of lighting that you have you'd better stock up on easy carbo and you'll have to dump massive amounts of TPN+ in that tank. Your CO2 gas consumption will also be huge and those filters will probably not be man enough for the task at hand. This is why I stated that it was a false economy to get the halide light so cheaply, because now you need to spend more money in order for the tank to survive those 150 watts of photonic bombardment.

Cheers,

Back