• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Critique my Hardscape

Matt1994

Hi all,

I am in the process of re scraping my aquascaper 600- this is the hardscape in the dojo at Horizon Aquatics

I have decided on manzanita wood and Frodo stone-
I can’t decide whether to go for a sand foreground or all soil

Anyone got a similar hardscape layout for some ideas, using manzanita wood or Frodo stone and wood

Thanks all
Matt

Attachments

• DC683E42-9706-430C-9744-6DAB72EF3151.jpeg
    DC683E42-9706-430C-9744-6DAB72EF3151.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 405
Hi Matt ,

Great choice of hardscape . Really liking the BarrZanita and frodo stone . From what I can see so far we have a left triangle composition , these always look so good.
whether you decide on sand or soil is up to you and what direction you want to take this layout . I think you could use more manzanita of different shapes and sizes. Right now they are all weighted very similarly
and the standing tall arrangement makes it look a little less natural . Play around with the height and directions of your branches.
same thing can be said about the frodo stone. You want different sizes , including very small pieces to help create a more natural aged look.
Cheers!

Looks great!

Agree with the above poster than the direction and spacing between the branches feels a bit too uniform. I would try to add a little bit more chaos/randomness to make it feel less planned/constructed.

In regard to sand vs soil, I'll vote for soil for this layout :)

Right now they are all weighted very similarly
and the standing tall arrangement makes it look a little less natural . Play around with the height and directions of your branches.
same thing can be said about the frodo stone. You want different sizes , including very small pieces to help create a more natural aged look.
I wonder what can be considered natural.
If you aim at creating landscape underwater, it's not natural by definition.
If not, you cannot use any stones with sharp edges. They don't belong under water.
But people do these unnatural things so often as it distorts the perception of the very term natural. :(

If you aim at creating landscape underwater, it's not natural by definition.

How so? How is an ape manipulating a small body of water unnatural? Homo sapiens evolved from the natural world with the desire and capacity to create aquariums. How is it different than a beaver building a dam? How can our behaviours and creations be distinct from the natural world, from which we ourselves were created? Where do you draw the distinction between where our natural behaviours ended and our unnatural ones began? Were we still natural beings when we lived in caves? When we could create fire? How could a spider's web be natural if the things I create are not?

@_Maq_ does have a point, To a degree. Us modern humans are so far detached from nature.
There really isn’t anything natural about a glass box filled with plants, wood and stones.

This doesn’t mean we can’t strive to replicate nature and in the process create something beautiful.
I love this hobby partly because I genuinely believe fish can actually have a better life in home aquaria than they can in the wild.
However I’ve since realised we’re now hijacking this thread.

@Matt1994 create something that speaks to you not to others. You’re the one who’ll have to live with and care for the aquascape.
Unless it’s a hobby you wish to peruse and grow at then fill your boots on as many journals as you can within this forum.
If it’s just a nice looking fish tank your after, then make something you enjoy and don’t over complicate it. Less can be more.

How can our behaviours and creations be distinct from the natural world, from which we ourselves were created?
For what have we created the word 'natural', then? If we and our doings are just a part of natural life, then we don't need that word.
In any case, it's a matter of a taste. Nature never creates a kitch, while humans do. Too many aquascapers do. Aquascaping is a popular art. It differs from art just like popular music differs from music.
I'm not an artist so I'd never attempt to impose any artistic value to my aquaria.

For what have we created the word 'natural', then? If we and our doings are just a part of natural life, then we don't need that word.
In any case, it's a matter of a taste. Nature never creates a kitch, while humans do. Too many aquascapers do. Aquascaping is a popular art. It differs from art just like popular music differs from music.
I'm not an artist so I'd never attempt to impose any artistic value to my aquaria.

We have words for a lot of things; that is an illogical defence for a concept. That there is a word for it does not give the concept any more validity. I agree that the word is not needed.

Hi all,

Don’t feel like you’ve hijacked the thread it’s good to hear everyone’s points and reasons ! I will have a play with the hardscape as I do want it to look more natural but also want the left triangle composition, really good to hear everyone’s thoughts

Thanks
Matt

I'd echo what @UsAndThem said. More random sized pieces of wood spread out to fit the corner. Don't forget to leave enough space round the wood & stones to plant in & maintain the tank without disturbing the whole thing or finding it impossible to trim properly.
Sometimes less is more too, the fabulous gnarly wood rapidly disappears under a mound of plants with just a few twiggy ends showing!

I always advocate going big and bold. Try as many large pieces of wood and rock in as many combinations as you can until you have a scape that looks like it's a smaller section of something bigger found in nature and obviously that you like the look of.
Then take a step back and a moment and consider how you could achieve something similar using less. That for me is the essence of aquascaping...

This is a thread created by Matt1994 to ask for help with his tank layout. None of your posts are actually related to helping Matt1994 decide where to place his Frodo stone and Wood.

It may not be considered correct forum etiquette to try to impose your views on aquascaping in such a thread - if you have such strong views on the matter, why not start a separate thread to discuss this?

None of your posts are actually related to helping Matt1994 decide where to place his Frodo stone and Wood.
It may not be considered correct forum etiquette
The title of this thread reads "Critique my hardscape". Therefore I suppose @Matt1994 cares for others' opinion. I've expressed the view that sharp-edged rocks - like Frodo stone - are unnatural under water.
Would it be more useful to say "oooh, beautiful" no matter what I think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've expressed the view that sharp-edged rocks - like Frodo stone - are unnatural under water.
If I turn to books like my copy of George Farmer's Aquascaping book, Frodo stones, as well as Seiryu and other sharp-edged stones, are listed as stones that are used in aqusacaping and his book has many examples of these stones being used to good effect. You are of course free to disagree with that.

Therefore, Matt is expecting advice how to position the rocks and wood to similar good effect.

If you want to question the practice of using Frodo stones in an aquascape, that is not a critique of Matt's hardscape, its a critique of aquascaping or perhaps an entire aquascaping style, which may be best continued in a separate thread.

I will have a play with the hardscape as I do want it to look more natural

Therefore, Matt is expecting advice how to position the rocks and wood to similar good effect.
What I can see is that @Matt1994 did not mention George Farmer, yet what he did say is that he wanted to make it more "natural".
You correctly assume that I consider most aquascapes unnatural & kitchy. (I'm not acquainted with George Farmer's creations, so my critique is not targeted on him, but on Matt's creation.)
This is my last note on this within this thread. You're correct that this is not the right place to discuss this issue in depth.

@Matt1994 you reach a point when you go with what you think when planted it can look natural as anything. Check out the Dennerle plant hunters Chris has footage of some amazing planted settings were nature sets its own rules🙂

Hi Matt,
I love manzanita wood and frodo stone.
I think either full soil or sand foreground would work well.
If you opt for sand foreground I would perhaps try to add some smaller detailing pieces of frodo around the front of the larger rocks to offer a more natural looking transition from sand to stone. You can add epiphytes to them which will also soften the lines. If you go full soil you can rely on midground planting to transition each area and add the detail.
One thing I think would benefit either choice would be the addition of a smaller stone at the right, this would enhance your triangular composition. Also perhaps as others have suggested, try angling the wood slightly more. Currently the left most and central pieces are positioned at a similar upright angle, the most central piece would be the easiest to adjust which will mix it up enough and be more inkeeping with the right hand side which looks more natural. Perhaps consider adding some smaller manzanita pieces over the stones as you have already done at the right hand side of the scape as this again looks more natural and creates additional depth and transitions.

I have added a basic edit to show where a rock at the right may benefit the overall composition, and how altering the angle of some wood with a few smaller creeping pieces over the central stones can tie it all together. Of course planting will soften all of the rocks and wood, but if you opt for sand foreground then additional details will help with adding layers to the scape.
I think you have the backbone of a strong layout 🙌🏻

F0065E6A-A1C3-4DCF-A9CA-48498FAD2846.jpeg

Cheerio
Ady.

Back