• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Dipping toes into aquascaping, criticism welcome

Blinxy

Hiya I recently decided to try another tank but try and aquascape it properly or just the inclusion of more hardscape, since before I have mainly been growing almost dutch style tanks as a way to learn plant health and maintenance, this tank is a dennerle scapers 35l with a twinstar light. I am hoping to grow red rotala as before I had only been using fluval lights and could not achieve full red in rotala h'ra, i could only achieve a almost orange colour with hues of red.
IMG_20240512_130909.jpg
this is what I've come up with so far, I forgot to put a background on as I was so eager to start, idea for this layout is to have rotala hra in-between the rocks and a carpet or HC Cuba in the front as that was another thing that struggled to grow under fluval lights. Any criticism is welcome, my current worries is about the main stone, the biggest, I wonder if its perhaps too central. I also wonder if the stone in the left corner makes it too equal as there are 4 peaks. I am getting a stone chisel soon so this might not be the final scape for this tank
Top view
IMG_20240512_134636.jpg

Welcome :)

Nice rock and nice start. Spend some more time messing around with it. Try different orientations, not just on the edges. These rocks have multiple interesting sides and shapes. And also see what it looks like with some of them pushed together more. You'll be surprised how well they might lock together to create natural shapes. It might help to bank the substrate higher at the back.

am getting a stone chisel soon so this might not be the final scape for this tank
Top view
I really wouldn't, this type of rock breaks with a conchoidal fracture and you'll lose some of its creative potential. Try the above and work with it as is. If it still doesn't do what you want put it to one side and use it next time and/or buy more of the same. The more rocks you have the easier it is to come up with something you'll be happy with. You don't have to use them all in the same scape.

smaller pieces in the foreground
I agree with this, I think the front left large piece is a bit much. Make sure you leave enough planting space. Like the overall idea though. I think you're right about too much symmetry/balance, you don't want to lose the impact of the main stone if this is the vibe you're after.

They're cool stones with great texture. What are they?

I agree with this, I think the front left large piece is a bit much. Make sure you leave enough planting space. Like the overall idea though. I think you're right about too much symmetry/balance, you don't want to lose the impact of the main stone if this is the vibe you're after.

They're cool stones with great texture. What are they?
Sold to me a seiryu stones from Oli Betta.

Second rendition
IMG_20240512_155837.jpg
im trying to find smaller pieces for detailing in the front still. I like this version better. Perhaps a sand path running from middle to front? Thinking about getting another bag of substrate too so i can get more height and a more steep slope perhaps. I can imagine either rotala hra on the right corner or perhaps some rotala green over pouring the rocks a bit. HC cuba in the front, some kind of ricardia on the stone on the floor on the right(not sure if thats what i want as im not entirely sure of plant name could be something completely different im thinking of). For the sake of experimenting i thought about dedicating the left side for Utricularia Graminifolia just to try and grow it. Maybe i should start a journal and draw a plant map

There is also unfortunately a bubble within the front glass, nothing i have done, it has no surface wound so its not like I chipped it or anything its a fault in the glass its self. Waiting to see what Oli Betta will do or if they advise that I don't use this tank.

Back