• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry Salts Pre mixed

Gfish

Hi all

I've been using dry salts for some time now, and recently I've given a pre mixed bag a try. This obviously simplifies the job of fertilising even further, which is great.

I never make a solution, I simply spoon it in dry.
Lately I've noticed a dusty film on the water surface, and I'm wondering if this is to do with my change of dry fertiliser????
I know with the pre mixes there's another chemical or two added that are something to do with the individual salts being stored together and stopping them breaking down or reacting badly in some way. But could these additions be causing this dusty film?

Many thanks

Gavin

Gavin,
Impossible to analyse without more data. What's in the bag...exactly? How about a photo of the dust? Is is possible that is is just that, dust?

Cheers,

Hi Clive,
You know, I've just added 4 spoonfuls today and had a chance to hang around and watch. The dust has definitely remained on the surface until I got my hands in and really swirled around to sink the stuff. Some of it is still sitting there but I will look again tomorrow before adding more.
I may actually go back to adding the 3 separate salts for a week next week to see if this dust totally disappears.
I ain't too worried, just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same from using a mixed bag.
Cheers
Gavin

Hi Luis,
Ok, you'll have guessed which mix I'm on about here, but it contains the following:-
Potassium nitrate
Potassium phosphate
Magnesium sulphate
Trace elements
E300
E202
& dust
Cheers
Gavin

Luis
The bag you sent me worked fine. And I don't remember there being a dusty film on the water either.
I knew E numbers were bad, but thought it only created hyperactive children lol
I may shout you up for some more of your mix one day, so cheers for the offer :)
What's with the confused or startled look Clive? Speak up young man :) ?

Back