• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

eBay seller Hypsolebias

ScareCrow

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience buying from Hypsolebias via eBay?
I've searched the forum and there are a few mentions but not much in the way of positive/negative experiences. They look to be able to source (or at least try to source) some very interesting species that aren't that easy to find but I don't want to order from them if they're just shipping fish out without much care.

My impression is a lot of things seemed to be ordered in from somewhere else after you order, so in some cases it was acting as a kind of hub selling on. My recall is they are in Glasgow. I was once meaning to visit. Maybe someone else has.

I'd avoid them like the plague. This seller has numerous eBay accounts the most infamous one being Aquasnack. Tends to set up new accounts once they receive enough negative feedback.
Suggest you give this thread a read.

Their details.
Screenshot_20230403_203325_eBay.jpg

Got a nice rare geniune Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis off them a few weeks back, no complaints at all, also there sister company i got some lovely Pseudosphromenus Dayi recently, cracking little fish i've never seen for sale before.

Fish were v young but that's in the item description. They couldn't get one species so sent them down a fortnight later for no extra charge. Well packed.

Only blip is that my sexed pair of Apistogrammas look to both be females. Need to wait a while to be sure...will report back on what happens if I have to raise the issue

I have had successful transactions with the different ebay shops all at the same Glasgow address most of them were about 10 years ago I recently had a good deal with them. I have had no complaints, the guy running the shops is a fish enthusiast he used to sell mostly killifish. He is not a con, even with all the different shops on ebay and the Covent Garden address.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I'd missed the AquaSnack in the info but have heard a lot of the negative things about them.

My impression is a lot of things seemed to be ordered in from somewhere else after you order, so in some cases it was acting as a kind of hub selling on. My recall is they are in Glasgow. I was once meaning to visit. Maybe someone else has.
You are correct. I messaged to find out when delivery might be as there's no mention of it other than it can take 15 days to confirm that they can get a particular item/animal. The response I got was essentially they contact their supplier who I assume orders it, they then get told if the order was successful, receive your order then send it on. Deliveries are Thursday or Friday but I don't think you get a choice and I'm not sure what if any notice they give.
I'll hold on to see if anyone else has any experience and for the nights to get a bit warmer, before making a decision.
Thanks again for the responses.

Seems hit and miss, at the end of the day is how much of a risk do you want to take with your cash, and also with the life of the fish you purchasing! I am pretty sure that even fish stores have a high level of DOA! but they do quarantine the fish, in this case most likely no quarantine process so if you adding to an established tank there is that risk too!

He was helpful to me when I considered going to the shop to get an apisto. I think it would help if we had a report from someone who has seen the tanks. I've brought plants from him, which were fine – and done on the same basis. In effect it's not that different to any shop buying in stock, except, as LondonDragon says, the lack of quarantine.

In effect it's not that different to any shop buying in stock, except, as LondonDragon says, the lack of quarantine.
Be aware when buying plants also if you are placing them in shrimp tanks, depending on export treatments they could also kill your shrimp!

I think it would help if we had a report from someone who has seen the tanks.
Yes, that would be very helpful.

I don't have a particular problem with Mr phunkner, infact in killifish circles he seems fairly accomplished and can only imagine he has a fish room at his home address.
My issue with Diapteron, who run these ebay sites is they don't appear to have a show room, they are merely a middle man for other third party sellers, hence quality control is hap hazard.

From the Diapteron website.

"Can I visit you personally?
No, you are not able to visit any of our warehouses or offices. In the last two decades, the world has changed from the majority of people physically walking into stores and buying things, to the majority of people buying online. We operate a very efficient mail order system which is geared up for rapid dispatch. Our dispatch and delivery process is almost completely automated."

Last edited:
I know someone, who knows him and says he’s a nice guy.

When I’ve spoken to him online he’s said I could collect; but to be honest I personally wouldn’t want to go there to snoop.

It feels kinda obvious to me what he does;

Breeds fish for profit; livebearers, medaka and killis.
Is on a load of fish import lists, and orders on your behalf when they’re available. (I bet on the rare stuff buyers miss the chance, as the time between lists being shared with you and shipping is a few days, normally. It’s about transshipping space. )
I do think he’s got an ear to the ground and has a good idea of what’s hot; so he does have stock fish, apistos etc.
obviously, he then ships them to you on arrival, zero quarantine - Not much different than the betta box.

Finally I did but some African chiclids from him, maybe 9 years ago? And they were nice fish, I don’t think I was overly impressed with packaging iirc.

Back