• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Profile Eriocaulon cinereum

Scientific Name
Eriocaulon cinereum
Major Group
Angiosperms
Order
Poales
Family
Eriocaulaceae
Genus
Eriocaulon
I have grown this low tech, no co2 in London tap.
It just needs aqua-soil in my experience. Though, i didn't keep it very long, a couple months before I did something else with the tank.

I have grown this low tech, no co2 in london tap. it just needs aquasoil in my experience. though, i didn't keep it very long, a couple months before i did something else with the takn.
Interesting! How was your lighting? Did you also start with submerged or in vitro?

I just got some to try it out. Also London tap but with CO2 and medium lighting.

Interesting! How was your lighting? Did you also start with submerged or in vitro?
uh, nothing special. ikea 5w desk lamp. and yes it was submerged specimens i already had in my high tech. i suspect it will just melt if you get it invitro and put it in low tech, in medium lighting and co2 i think it'll be fine. over all it isn't really a nice plant to keep long term. it flowers constantly and needs splitting very often to keep it looking pretty.
see the first few pages of my journal My 12G softwater
eventually i gave up with the plant, i might get some erio sieboldenum that doesn't require splitting as often and never flowers.

I agree that the constant flowering is a bit annoying if you are planting it as a short foreground grass but but the flowers end up blocking your view of the rest of the tank. I have one at the front left side of the tank where it sort of partially obscures my intake Lily Pipe.

@plantnoobdude @erwin123
I have grown E. Cinereum extensively in the past 2 years. It is pretty common in the north of Thailand.
If your E. cinerum is flowering constantly then it means the plant is in major stress. A plant that is happy will only flower after several months of growing. E. Cinerum is an annual plant so it will flower eventually but if you keep conditions top notch it could take many months before it flowers. Usually the flowering starts when the root system doesn't have much more space to expand, that soil is depleted, that light decreases or that CO2 starts declining or a combination thereof.
I have grown this low tech, no co2 in London tap.
uh, nothing special. ikea 5w desk lamp. and yes it was submerged specimens i already had in my high tech.
How far from the water surface and light was that plant at and what was the rough temperature of the water?

Now realistically speaking, one would not have so much space allocated for just 1 plant so it is conceivable that in a standard scape the plant would flower more often than not. The other downside of the plant in a scaped tank is that once you split it, it will obviously not look nice for quite some time.

Last edited:
@plantnoobdude @erwin123
I have grown E. Cinereum extensively in the past 2 years. It is pretty common in the north of Thailand.
If your E. cinerum is flowering constantly then it means the plant is in major stress. A plant that is happy will only flower after several months of growing. E. Cinerum is an annual plant so it will flower eventually but if you keep conditions top notch it could take many months before it flowers. Usually the flowering starts when the root system doesn't have much more space to expand, that soil is depleted, that light decreases or that CO2 starts declining or a combination thereof.

How far from the water surface and light was that plant at and what was the rough temperature of the water?

Now realistically speaking, one would not have so much space allocated for just 1 plant so it is conceivable that in a standard scape the plant would flower more often than not. The other downside of the plant in a scaped tank is that once you split it, it will obviously not look nice for quite some time.
I mean, the plants did not flower untill several months after I got them from TC. after the plants matured it was a constant battle, I'd split it and a couple weeks later it's fully mature and starts sending out flower stalks again.pretty annoying honestly, if i get another green erio it'll probably sieboldenum or something else that doesn't flower.
IMG_7298.JPG
here's how they looked.

like 30cm or so? and temp was room temperature, at the time it was summer so should be in low 20's.

Back