• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fauna for a black water tank

Yeah, I don't really think they should grow all that much... He is not confusing them, he actually had the crenichos for sale at the time. Supposedly, the morphos have a very large mouth, but still...

Yes, morpho tetra.
I did some reading on those fish.

Some suppliers mark them with a banner 'NOT BEGINNER FISH, ' and the reading shows that they can be fussy eaters and very territorial during mating season. Some of the notes also say that they need a line-of-sight divider as the males hold serious grudges!

Black_Morpho_Tetra_Poecilocharax_weitzmani_.jpg

I did some reading on those fish.

Some suppliers mark them with a banner 'NOT BEGINNER FISH, ' and the reading shows that they can be fussy eaters and very territorial during mating season. Some of the notes also say that they need a line-of-sight divider as the males hold serious grudges!

View attachment 216952
Mine have eaten dry food from the beginning. I haven’t noted them to be that territorial either, the males display to each other but that’s it really. I think they’re very delicate on import but once settled they’re quite hardy.

I've always liked how ember tetra look in a blackwater set up, mine have always thrived in blackwater set ups. They have a strong schooling instinct and interact nicely with the hardscape streaming through roots and being active.

Have you considered focussing on black water river systems and check gbif for suitable fish?

Also, Asia and West Africa have some interesting, smaller, blackwater fish.

This is a relatively small tank so if you go for ember tetra then I'd suggest focussing on them, and getting more than 15, in smaller numbers I have found they can be reclusive and rather dull.

Have you considered focussing on black water river systems and check gbif for suitable fish?

Also, Asia and West Africa have some interesting, smaller, blackwater fish.
I didn't know this gbif database. I tried searching for black water river fish, but the only ornamental fish result I got was the morpho tetra... But I'm probably not doing it right.

Overall, unless something changes, I'm set on the green neons and the corydora nijseni, since I now have a single one of it in quarantine... Tukanos are very likely to be included. So there could be room for a more reclusive species, such as the morpho tetra, but there isn't room for much more. But who knows, maybe in the future I may decide to change everything.

I started a journal, but things aren't going particularly well, the wood pieces are causing all sorts of damage to the water. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I get it to the point where I can start adding fishes.

I didn't know this gbif database. I tried searching for black water river fish, but the only ornamental fish result I got was the morpho tetra... But I'm probably not doing it right.

Overall, unless something changes, I'm set on the green neons and the corydora nijseni, since I now have a single one of it in quarantine... Tukanos are very likely to be included. So there could be room for a more reclusive species, such as the morpho tetra, but there isn't room for much more. But who knows, maybe in the future I may decide to change everything.

I started a journal, but things aren't going particularly well, the wood pieces are causing all sorts of damage to the water. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I get it to the point where I can start adding fishes.
It's a really handy site once you get the hang of it.

Quick steps: 1) click on occurrences. 2) click on map and select the area you want to highlight. 3) on the left panel (search all fields) search for characiformes. 4) click on table to see which fish occur in the highlighted area.

There's also the other way around and simply fill in the fish name in the search bar as soon as you open gbif.org to check where they occur.

Poecilocharax weitzmani are an option, as long as you can keep to their demands.

Also, Apistogramma iniridae are a fantastic fish to keep, but quite hard to find and perhaps tricky in a smaller tank, especially with Corydoras.

True Copella nattereri are also very neat fish (but certainly need a lid).

This is based off a quick search in the same area as T. tucano. There's many more options, even outside South America. Boraras or Sundadanio species, for example, really stand out in blackwater tanks and can be kept in bigger numbers in smaller tanks.

Back