• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fern plantlets?

Wally

Hi everybody
I have a 2' foot cube with 2 24 watt T5''s and a selection of java type ferns in.I have trident,normal,Philippine,narrow and needle.The lights are on for 8 hours per day and I do not feed or add co2.The tank is stocked with zebra botia,oddesa barbs and half banded spiny eels to 80% according to Aqadvisor but the fish are no were fully grown.
The plants are doing well,all nice and green but the rhizome does not grow but the plants put out a LOT of plantlets.Has anybody any ideas why this is.The plantlets do fine when attached to wood and do the same.Could it be down to low nutrition or is there some other factor I am not aware of?
Thanks in advance
Wally

Hi,
Ferns produce plantlets, just like grass grows and produce seed. You should not consider this to be some kind of anomaly. This is what they were created to do. So, just like you have to mow your lawn regularly to keep it looking neat and to prevent it from going to seed, you have to remove the fern plantlets to keep the fern looking neat.

Cheers,

Back