• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Media Suggestions

bjorn

I currently run 2 filters on my 170L tank which means I have a lot of space for filter media. More space than I would probably need for actual bacteria. Does anyone have recommendations in what to use that might help in a planted tank in way of filter media, better mechanical filtration etc?

Filter 1: Eheim 2173 Professional 3 (1050L / hour)
Filter 2: JBL Cristaprofi (750L / hour, with inline AquaMedic 1000)

What would you use if you had the space in your filter?

Hi,
You have a couple of options. if you feel that there is no need for large amounts of bio-media then you can simply fill it with sponge type media. this will give you a better flow throughput from the filter, which is always a good thing.

If you wind up getting more fish and feel you need more biofiltration then you can always add any of the sintered glass media to the trays. If you have issues with discoloration/yellowing of the water due to wood leaching tannis you can put activated carbon or a zeolite/carbon mixture (Fluval make this) in one of the trays. You can also enhance water clarity by putting Purigen in one of the trays.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
You have a couple of options. if you feel that there is no need for large amounts of bio-media then you can simply fill it with sponge type media. this will give you a better flow throughput from the filter, which is always a good thing.

If you wind up getting more fish and feel you need more biofiltration then you can always add any of the sintered glass media to the trays. If you have issues with discoloration/yellowing of the water due to wood leaching tannis you can put activated carbon or a zeolite/carbon mixture (Fluval make this) in one of the trays. You can also enhance water clarity by putting Purigen in one of the trays.

Cheers,

Thanks, I'll look into those! The ADA Substrate does give off a bit o dust when you plant so could be good to have something that clears the water more.

Just noticed.. Doesn't Purigen remove beneifical things, like nutrients?

Well it removes nitrogenous waste products, not inorganically dosed nutrients, so this is a good thing.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Well it removes nitrogenous waste products, not inorganically dosed nutrients, so this is a good thing.

Cheers,

Excellent, thanks!

Back