• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

first house plant

malik uddin

just added my first house plant to my tank today its a philodendron burley marx (cut it from the wifes mother plant
20240320_172858.jpg
20240320_172912.jpg
20240320_173033.jpg
, she will never realise). cant wait for it to grow and suck up nutrients like a boss.

You’d be shocked how little a change people can see in their houseplants - especially a variegated Burle Marx…

There’s every chance you know, but thought I’d say that rot can be a problem when rooting Philodendron cuttings. It’s best to leave the cuttings to dry out for a while before putting them in water and then check on it occasionally. If it does rot you can cut off the rotted area and dip in hydrogen peroxide - but given the mother plant is so beautiful I am sure your wife knows all of this!

Hi all,
its a philodendron burley marx
Nice.
There’s every chance you know, but thought I’d say that rot can be a problem when rooting Philodendron cuttings.
I'd guess it will be all right. I assume because the water is oxygenated and moving a lot of plants seem to root much more readily in the fish tank than they would in a glass of water etc.

All add in @hydrophyte, he is an <"emersed aroid man"> an should be able to offer a more definitive answer.

cheers Darrel

All add in @hydrophyte, he is an /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cryptocoryne-riparium.7593/page-3#post-121148']emersed aroid man[/URL]"> an should be able to offer a more definitive answer.

The plants in @hydrophyte‘s post are gorgeous - definitely much more knowledgeable than me! I mentioned as I’ve had aroids struggle to root in aquaria in the past - but that may have been a me problem -and variegated plants often struggle more (and would be a shame to lose!)

Also - does anyone know if oxalic acid from aroids is an issue in aquaria? I’m guessing no, as it would be so diluted, but I’d be interested to know!

Do you add lights above for the terrestrial plants or will the aquarium light suffice?
I have a peace lilly that I would like to add but still hesitant

Do you add lights above for the terrestrial plants or will the aquarium light suffice?
I have a peace lilly that I would like to add but still hesitant
I have a basic grow light above my emersed plants. It probably isn’t necessary although it has expedited the process of the houseplants adapting to being in water permanently.

Back