• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish arriving DOA, freezing cold

Sorry to hear that Alec! I think that's crazy they didn't use heat packs to ship livestock at this time of year! A bit of tin foil and newspaper wouldn't keep your dinner warm let alone live animals!

Another thing I've noticed some retailers fail to realise is that often the type of heat packs used (when they are used), require air to heat them up and keep them warm. It sounds counter productive but there needs to be some kind of ventilation otherwise the heat pack will just cool off, no matter how many you stuff in there.

Hopefully they can come to a reasonable resolution with you.

I have asked them to consider if it's safe. As they are experienced and haven't reported similar issues, my hope is that the problem was because they forgot to pack a heat pack, and that if they pack additional ones, as they promise, then it will be safe. I will reflect on it. I understand the worries, but I don't think these issues happen often, even in cold weather, or they'd be reported more in websites?

The amount of heat packs depends on how much water volume there is as well as the temperature. Adding more heatpacks can create a boil in the bag affect, depending on which ones are used.
If it was cold, it can be sometimes easier to add more insulating water volume imo.

I've not used the company and don't know much about them. I'm also not suggesting anything about their ability to ship fish as I don't have anything other than your previous shipment to go against. I don't want to slag anyone off but from a quick look at their website I personally wouldn't want to use them for other reasons.

I don't want to slag anyone off but from a quick look at their website I personally wouldn't want to use them for other reasons.

Yeah, their website didn't fill me with much confidence either - nor their prices!

Yeah, their website didn't fill me with much confidence either - nor their prices!
Do you mean Sims @Wookii ? I'd be interested to know why. I'm always keen to learn. The website seemed good to me and the range of fish broad. I have bought from them before without problems. But you have a lot more experience, so I'd welcome your thoughts.

Back