• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow check - 405 + powerhead or Large canister?

madlan

Well, now I have a new tank on the way I can start thinking about the details!

The tank holds 325 litres (120 x 47 x 65cm) has a large amount of wood and will be heavily planted.
This will be high light\co2 so will require some decent water movement. I'm not too confident the Fluval 405 I have will be capable of moving enough water around at only 850lph (plus external Co2 reactor and heater). with the 10x rule I'm looking at over 3000 litres an hour turnover. I have a koralia 4000 which I could use, that would take me to the recommended turn over.

However, to avoid having a power head in the aquarium, what about replacing the 405 with a larger external, say the FX5? They are going quite cheap at the moment (£160). This will give 2,300 lph loaded, 3,500 empty. If I keep the media to just the included sponge and a few trays of sintered glass it should be close to 3000 lph.

The aquarium is also bottom drilled with inlet\outlet pipes close to one corner.

Finally, will such a high flow rate cause issues with the external heater and AM1000 Co2 reactor? More flow seems better for these but maybe 3000 lph is too much!

The problem with the fx5 is the pipe work it's 1 inch so doesn't fit any standard fittings ie your tank connectors your am1000 inline heaters ect
You would be better off looking at the larger eheims or the eheim 2260 classic
The 2260 is a bit like the fx5 just a big bucket with a big pump but has 22/16 outlet hose
Matt

Hi Matt,

Looks like the 2260 has the same problem, the inlet is 25/34mm. Excellent flow rate though - would have been perfect.
The other filter with good flow rates was the 2080, but that has two inlets unfortunately.

Anything else on the market that can push 2000+lph through 16/22mm hose?

I think the closest you'll get is the eheim pro 3e I think it's the 2078 but their not cheap or the fluval g6 but again not cheap.
You could use the 2080 and have one inlet connected to your tank and the other up the back like a standard inlet? Just a thought
Other than the ones mentioned I don't think you'll find a filter with that much flow
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just removed the inlet\outlet pipe from the drilled holes, it looks like they have dual barbs, one being 1 inch:

So I could cut the inlet, connect the 2260 inlet and then connect the 22\16 outlet to the AM1000 and back up to the uncut outlet.

That looks good and the Eheim classics are tried and trusted
The only thing that I would recommend is that if you do get the 2260 get some double taps to make removing the filter for cleaning much easier it might mean that you need to keep the pipe work a bit longer but worth it in the long run
Matt

I've just seen the cost of the double taps, £70! Ouch!
Did you ever look at the 2262? It has the taps and larger pump but I cannot find any in the UK.

So the 2260 with taps is about £300, what do you think about the Fluval G6 as an option?

2260 is 2400 lph
G6 is 2460 lph

It's a lot smaller, standard hose sizes and £50 more than the eheim.

I've not used the g6 but I think dan Crawford is running one and has no complaints you could pm him and ask what he thinks?
As far as I could gather the 2262 is only available in the states
If you've got the extra cash then go for the g6 then you could post a review for other members?
At the end of the day it is what will suite your needs more
The only thing I seem to remember from doing a search myself was that people with the g series had bought a spare pre-filter so they could just swap them over between cleans
You also may need to swap out the pipe work to fit the am1000 as the g6 hose is not too flexible
Sorry not to be more help
Matt

Hi Matt,

Had a thought last night, why not use two Y splitters on the output hose, one to split the output from 1" to 2x 1\2" feeding the external heater and AM1000 reactor, then another to combine the two back to 1" hose. I could then cut off the 1\2" barbs on the inlet\outlet underneath the tank, giving unrestricted flow.

This would allow me to use the FX5, which seems ideal - cheap, powerful, quiet and has the water change function, great for EI considering I have 150l a week to change!

What do you think?

That sounds like a plan
The fx5 is a great filter v powerful more than enough for your tank and yes the water change function is great I do 2x250ltr changes a week and makes those much easier
Let me know what you decide and how you get on
Matt

Well, I just spent an afternoon looking for a Y piece that will adapt from 25mm to 16mm - couldnt find it online or in the lfs!

So you own an FX5? What size aquarium do you have it on? I noticed George Farmer is running one on an aquarium thats smaller than mine, I was worried it might be too much flow from a single point but the double outlet plus the heater/reactor should reduce the flow slightly.

Mine runs on 500ltr 5x2x2 foot
I modified the outlet not using the one that came with the filter but a spray bar across the length of the back wall
Inalso have a eheim 2180 and 3 x koralia 1600 all across the back facing forward
As for the spliter have you searched eBay?
Matt

That looks like just the thing with the bonus of being able to divert the flow so if too much going into the am1000 divert some off
Just make sure all joints are tight and I would recommend jubilee clips on the hoses
Matt

Back