• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval G6 Outlets

smarty

Seedling
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Fluval G6 and was just wondering what peoples preference was to the included outlets and spray bars. I have attached the 2 outlets in favour of the spray bars because they are a little more discreet but if people feel the spray bars perform better then I may try them out.

Hi smarty. It kind of depends on the size and shape of your tank. I used to own one and although I no longer have it I can tell you that I found the spraybars the better option. I connected BOTH together and used one of the end caps to cap off the second outlet on the T connector (the part that the spraybars or jet nozzles attach to). Consensus is that you face them forward from the back wall and the water goes forward, hits the front glass and is deflected downwards and then backwards. It gives the best circulation and distribution. Having said that others on here prefer the jets. I think if you are new to planted tanks then the spraybar is the better option as the circulation it offers is more forgiving to getting it wrong with the jets. My tank is 80cm long and had I kept the filter I would have added an extra section to the spraybar.

Hope you will be starting a journal for your new tank :thumbup:

Well, the tank is 160l being 100cm wide and 40cm deep (I will indeed add a journal shortly), Ive been running it for about a month now and am having good results but it does produce quite a strong jet which some of my fish may not appreciate. I hadnt considered attaching them together and capping off one of the outlets on the T connector, that does sound like a much better solution than just attaching them to each connection which is what I had in my head. Thanks for the advice I may try it out and see which is preferrable.

Well despite my dislike of some aspects of the G6, I think the options you have and the quality of the pipework actually beats my Eheim. At least you have a few options. You could even discard the fluval return pipework and make an acrylic spraybar that is not visible.... Good luck and I look forward to your journal. AND PICS !!! Us UKAPS members love to see pics. You wont get anything other than constructive criticism on here. Lots of talent and not too many egos ;)

Back