• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growth on white cloud - treat, euthanize, or leave it be?

ElleDee

I have a White Cloud Mountain minnow that has a fairly large circular growth on its face that appeared in the last couple weeks. It seems like it grew quickly but then stopped changing. The growth is very smooth and white.

1000005044.jpg

This particular fish is at least 4 years old and the rest of its body seems to be in good condition; its behavior is unchanged - lively as always, eating normally, etc. I have added some new plants to the tank recently, but nothing else has changed - no new livestock in 2 years, regular maintenance, stable parameters, nothing else seems amiss. I feel like this is some kind of a growth rather than a bacterial or fungal thing, but honestly I'm pretty crap with fish health stuff. Could it be contagious? Is it treatable? I'm not sure if I should do anything about it, or just leave it alone.

Some tank details:
  • set up is 2 years old, 22 gallons. Weekly 40% WC
  • livestock is a small school of white clouds, espei rasbora, shrimp, and one old man endler. Tank is understocked and everybody gets along. There's no history of disease for any of these fish and I've had them all for 3 or more years.
  • pH ~6.4, temp 70-74F depending on the season, GH ~5, kH ~1.5, TDS 175 ppm, nitrates are 5 ppm, no co2
  • food is various sinking micro pellets, weekly BBS

Never seen it in real life but its way to 'clean' to be some sort of fungus.
I think its a good chance it is Lymphocystis. It most def looks like it.

You can read it all about the web and a good start would be here:

It may be irrelevant but I had this happen too , at least it looked like fungus and lost some fish. It may be unrelated but I concluded that it started happening after dosing a DIY solution with chelated Fe. Any chance you have dosed any DIY ferts?

Back