• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair Algae/No growth - Updated with pics

If your confident you have solved your algae issues then you may as well do a 3-4 day blackout to finally wipe out any visible algae. Then a few water changes to clean and remove any spores, then you should be set to go.

I wouldn't change lighting until you have a stable tank.

Increasing your lighting could put you back right where you started. With everything you want to make gradual adjustments. Add half hour for a couple of weeks etc. Doubling the light intensity and adding 2 hours is a huge increase.

Take it slowly otherwise your hard work could be ruined.

OK....so the plan is to add half an hour each week until 6 hours become 8 hours....then we decide from there on...

The algae if not gone by all means but I see it is dying off and diminishing and I see new healthy growth of Eleocharis Parvula...

However isnt it a bit of low light 24w for a 45cm height 80L tank? It looks so little when compared to all those nice tanks out there :)

I have had this problem with my old tank. i had to resort to periods of blackouts for 3 or 4 days with regular large water changes. this still did not help the situation. have rescaped the tank now so hopefully the thread and hair algae will not return. One possible cause of this algae could be inconsistent levels of CO2, if anyone knows a way to remove and prevent this algae then let me know!

Jaap said:
OK....so the plan is to add half an hour each week until 6 hours become 8 hours....then we decide from there on...

The algae if not gone by all means but I see it is dying off and diminishing and I see new healthy growth of Eleocharis Parvula...

However isnt it a bit of low light 24w for a 45cm height 80L tank? It looks so little when compared to all those nice tanks out there :)

this is a really bad idea, in no way should you increase your light until you have a clean, 'algae free' tank. Its a common mistake to see improvement,get excited, add more light and the algae will come back stronger every time.

Dont worry about all the nice bright tanks out there, you can work towards that once you understand the basic principles which takes time. To help get rid of the algae that is left it would be worth cutting the hairgrass right back to substrate level, it will come back more healthy and cleaner. Stay at 6 hours, be anal with maintenance, ferts and WC's. Remain consistent and you will reap the rewards mate.

*edit - just noticed quoted post is a month old :oops: so this may no longer be relevant advise...
How goes it Jaap??

Well no hair algae anymore! Some green dust algae. Didnt increase light intensity. Co2 is full on since i have no fauna. Growth is adequate but will do better now that the co2 is high and the EI dosing amounts have been increased! :)

Back