• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Half Barrel pond and new pond project.

Thank you for the lily advice.

It came in a 3ltr pot, I have it on the shelf for now in a corner.

Is it ok for the leaf to be under the water while it grows? Or do I need to lift it so the leaf is always at the surface?

The other plants I ordered have arrived too, although they too have a LOT of growing to do.

I think in future il buy any plants in person so I can see what I am being sold but it is early in the season I suppose.

If anyone is interested these are the plants in the pond right now:

Elodea densa
Hornwort
Albatross lily
Creeping jenny
Pickerel weed
Persicaria amphibia
Golden club
Greater spearwort

I ordered a chameleon plant and bog grass but they arrived tiny and unplanted so went in the barrel basket.

Last edited:
It is fine for the leaf to be under the water at first, but not too deep, preferably just a few inches so it does not struggle to reach the surface. It will grow quickly once the weather warms up a bit, they are only just starting into growth at this time of year.

I would probably leave it in the 3 litre pot for now, on the shelf sounds perfect. I would let it grow and get a bit stronger and maybe think about repotting it to a larger container in the summer. Latour-Marliac recommend a 14 litre container for Albatross.

It is fine for the leaf to be under the water at first, but not too deep, preferably just a few inches so it does not struggle to reach the surface. It will grow quickly once the weather warms up a bit, they are only just starting into growth at this time of year.

I would probably leave it in the 3 litre pot for now, on the shelf sounds perfect. I would let it grow and get a bit stronger and maybe think about repotting it to a larger container in the summer. Latour-Marliac recommend a 14 litre container for Albatross.
Thank you again for the advice, gonna leave all the potted plants on the shelf until they are ready to move.

And wow that's a big container for the albatross, hoping it's foilage will cover roughly half the pond once grown.

IMG_20240401_171220485.jpg IMG_20240401_171229574.jpg IMG_20240401_171234486.jpg IMG_20240401_171239702.jpg

Last edited:
The fountain is tilted slightly, could keep it like that and put the lily front right.

There is a lot of hornwort with weights in the front left corner, waiting for it to take off.

Picked up 5 small sarasa comets today for the pond, I would get a picture but they went straight into the pile of hornwort and have only seen glimpses of them since, guess they like it.

Plants are mostly growing, lily been the exception, that has barely moved but the others are growing, the creeping jenny is peaking out of the water now, the pickerel weed is getting bushier, the persicaria has shot up to the point I'm sinking it next week, the club is slowly reaching the surface.

A lot of algae on the liner, some hair algae I've been using a piece of bamboo to remove but the water looks ok. IMG_20240418_175919741.jpg

Back