• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from a plant newbie

Teresa

Seedling
Hi everyone

I'm back to fish-keeping after a break of several years and have already contracted MTS!

We kept our 4ft juwel tank from when we stopped and decided to restock it just over a year ago. We tentatively went along the lines of a planted tank last summer but didn't really put much effort into it. Over the last couple of months we changed tack and have gone all out serious about the planting - substrate, hardscape, lights and co2 are all set up now we just need to get the plants - husband is taking charge of this tank. It has a pair of pearl gouramis + 2 home-grown baby girls (I'm very proud!), 10 columbian tetras, 2 male guppies and an albino bristlenose plec.

Most of the plants that survived from last summer have been transferred to a 3ft tank which I would like to experiment with as a riparium (another thread looking for advice). It's got a DIY co2 system which works not too badly. The plants have only been in the tank a couple of weeks and there's quite substantial new growth on some of them already - good news for the pair of opaline gouramis in there as they must be the most timid fish in the world! Two female guppies reside there also.

The 2ft tank (did I mention MTS? yes I got it bad - 2 tanks in less than a month!) is quite an extreme swing that probably won't go down too well on this forum - DIY purple and black silk plants! Bit of an artistic/creative statement on my part and I love it - the 30 odd guppy fry it currently houses don't seem to mind it either. I made a light unit for it last weekend out of roof guttering which I'm very pleased with.

So that's the low-down for now. As the title says I'm a plant newbie and will be looking for lots of advice/info particularly on the riparium aspect in the near future.

Thanks. I might just have a go at a journal for my riparium project although I suspect the first entry will be a list of questions!

Back