• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Glasgow

Redsedge

Hi everyone. Have been planning to embark on aquascaping since lockdown but only now getting to the point of starting to purchase equipment. Trying to keep to a budget of sorts so I was looking for reviews of the SuperFish Scaper 90 litre set that’s available at Maidenhead and that led me to the forums. Based on what I read on here I’m now collecting my new tank tomorrow. Expect a lot of questions in the coming weeks, months, years….but I’ll try not to be a nuisance!

Welcome! I'm in Paisley, there's a couple of enthusiasts on the forum situated around here I believe

Thanks for the welcome messages. Any recommendations on best shops to use in the Central Belt?

Yep, I’m local but non-native 👍 we’re struggling up here for shops worth going to imo. For hardscape, pretty slim picking.

Riverside aquaria is alright, and I quite like it but fish aren’t all in best condition. All round best shop imo.

Waterworld aquatics on Paisley Road is pretty good, but more so for reef.

Coral reef aquatics I’m not super impressed with, lovely staff but too many dead fish every time I’ve visited. However they have a large range of freshwater stuff, so maybe worth the risk. They also stock tropica plants 👍

3 hour drive to Horizon aquatics; id recommended it but last time I made the trip when at the counter they refused to sell me something as it had just sold to someone online… 😩

The honest answer is there is nothing good for aquascaping up here, yet.

When you visit Horizon Aquatics, you realise the sheer gulf between the shops, ours are still for fishkeeping, as opposed to aquascaping imo

The honest answer is there is nothing good for aquascaping up here, yet.

When you visit Horizon Aquatics, you realise the sheer gulf between the shops, ours are still for fishkeeping, as opposed to aquascaping imo

I’d love to have the hardscape/plant dedicated places that England has locally, but I’m unsure there is enough support for another store in UK equivalent to those in England; so much competition online etc. I think it’s quite a challenging time beneath the surface for dedicated shops, yet I still think a dedicated aquascaping shop in Scotland would do alright, the fishkeeping community up here is excellent.

Missus says I cannot start this business venture, which is probably the right call 😅

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. Yes, it seems we just don’t have anything locally that can provide the same Aquascaping range of services that they have in the south. I’ve read some positive stuff about Riverside so will pay a visit there soon. I’m just feeling lucky that I’ve been allowed a tank never mind starting a business. 😂

Hello from the other side of the world, Edinburgh. Good luck with things. If you ever want some free Cory's, or anyone in Scotland does, I have some lovely 'elegans' I need to pass on. Healthy and a pleasure to keep.

Back