• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hey

RobS

Hey all new user from down south of the UK :) (Hampshire)

I'm currently looking to start up my new Jewel Vision 260L tank. (Picture Here)

I previously had a community tank of a Rio 180. (Picture Here). It was my first tank and hopefully be able to do better the next time with more plant growth. The Rio only had a basic set-up. Fishes were, Guppies, Red Tail Shark, Neons, One Red Beta & a bristole? Plec.

My aim/goal for the new Juwel vision 260 tank is to be alot more planted and moss base. My vision is to have a main log/truck as the feature and moss on one of the side to look natural as possible.

I've not decided on what fishes I'm planing on getting yet.

Here how I'm kinda looking to get the tank setup.

• Tank: Juwel Vision 260L
  • Filter: Fluval FX-5 ((Currently looking to buy one))
  • Lamps : Currently buying new T5s bulb. Anyone that can recommend decent lighting setup for Juwel bulbs. Other wise might just have to be two simple basic white one.)
  • Co2: Looking at the forum thread on here with DiY system and will look into that further
  • Substrate : Akadama Double Red Line Hard Quality ((Looking for a place to buy the stuff))
  • Heater : Fluval E-Series
  • Wood & Other bits I haven't looked into so much at moment

Pretty much just have the tank at the moment and waiting to either get the bits or enquiring about various parts so if you could give a little advice or your two cents about a certain part then please do share.

Depends on how well I get on I might consider making a thread on progress :)

many Thanks rob

Hi rob,
Welcome to ukaps. Sounds like you have it worked out for your set up. The visions are a little tricky in getting the flow right, I know from my 5ft one. Everything else you've deciding on is good, if you look in the substrate section there are links to places that sell the akadama. Soneone posted one up the other day and if I find it I'll add it in here. Filtration is spot on especially with the fx5. Definitely can't go wrong with that. Don't bother with filter floss in it thiugh as I found it reduces flow as these things pull in huge amounts of water.
The idea of the large piece of wood sounds nice, say with some varieties of java fern and anubias on it. But plant choice and layout is down to you, but everyone will offer advice or thoughts if and when you start a thread which would be rude not to ha ha.
One thing I would say though, as good as the juwel internals are. I'd remove it Befire filling to allow more room, plus when cleaning them they dump bits back into the water. The fx5 is way more than enough.

Good luck and definitely get a journal started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,

Yeah I completely forgot to mention about the internal filter. First time seeing the tank the first thought was I have to get that thing out. So ugly :) I believe slowly removing it with some sharp instrument is the way to do it?

Regarding the moss, actually a first getting in-depth with the planting scene apart from the odd little bits in my old tank, which was more of a case that current LFS stock and no research. LFS is Maidenhead aquatics so I hope all their stock is good. So I didn't mention or finalised my thoughts on selected moss because I haven't looked up and seen peoples personal experience yet. Once I got my bits sorted I shall take a look at what my LFS stocks and perhaps look at various online sources.

I would love to think that I could hopefully attempt to get some kind of moss/grass bed. So looking up on this would kind of help me see my vision on how the others bits will be integrated in to look natural as possible.

Shall possible draw something up with my thoughts :)

welcome to ukaps :)

looks like you are getting the bug... when i started to try a planted tank i jumped in... then did my research!! which i really regret. But saying that its been a fun learning curve.... the one thing i know for certain i would do when starting my next scape would be to get as much in from the get go, with a clear plan of what im aiming for.

looking forward to your first journal .. looks like you are really putting the time in beforehand and i bet it will pay off once you get started :)

Just did a tiny little mock up of what I kind of see as the main feature. When I get a few bits in I shall start the thread on the progress. But I thought I'll share it here.

As for the right side. I'm not 100% sure.... not sure to make it lifelike to the surrounding I live in...... being mainly woodlands. Or to implement's some kind of rock here and there.

I kind of like the idea of a few bigger plants just to the left side of the log/trunk to help blend it in and maybe on the right hand side have some of the plants that extend to the top of the tank and sit on the surface to provide for extra cover etc.

Hope you like it :)

tanksl.jpg

Back