• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi everybody, new poster from kent

Lloyd Parkes

Seedling
Hi everyone, I did join up in March after lurking for a few months and have finally got around to saying hello! I had good intentions to start a journal but just haven't had the time to do so. I recently got back into the hobby after taking a 10 year break as whilst becoming a teenager I discovered girls and beer and lost some interest in keeping fish. Having now got married and buying my own house I wanted to get back into the hobby and see whats changed over the last few years... I had kept some plants with limited success and always wanted to have something heavily planted so bought a 5 footer having told the wife I was getting a tank. I don't think it was quite what she was expecting for the lounge :lol:.

I set it up on 24th November and have now gone down the high tech fire extinguisher route having tried diy co2 for a few weeks to begin with which didn't go very well as you could imagine with such a large volume of water. Some plants have done well, other not so much but heres how it looks today.

IMG_20150804_174758918_HDR.jpg

As you can see the Echinodorus Harbich has sent out a few flowers that I let grow out and over the last few weeks have started turning into what looks like their own plantlets. I will be creating a separate post about this as having searched this and other forums can't find out much information about this and have various photos throughout the different growth stages.

I look forward to contributing to the forum and reading others expertise about this fantastic hobby :)

Lloyd

It's like swimming, isn't it.. :) Noone forgets once you now.. The proof is in your tank.. Still got the knack.. Nice!

Not with the harbich, but i have always had swords. Look at the 400 gallon post. Most make flowerspikes under water (maybe because in my tank i can let them grow to their max, i rarely prune them) , just leave them submerged and the plantlets get roots. I never fertilized the flowers (you only need a small brush for that) as i wasn't into that. But you can get new platns from spikes easily. I just have had one (i think it is a uruguyaensis) wich only made spikes once in the ten years i have it in my tank.

I too kept fish as a child then stopped through my teenage years!

Now I'm settled with kids I have for the past year been working on a new aquarium!

Where in Kent are you? I'm in Maidstone.

I too kept fish as a child then stopped through my teenage years!

Now I'm settled with kids I have for the past year been working on a new aquarium!

Where in Kent are you? I'm in Maidstone.

Hi Mark, i've lived in Whitstable nearly all my life and now moved to Broadstairs last year. Hows the new tank going? You'll have to show us some pics soon :)

I've just planted the tank up with Dwarf Hair Grass - it's an experiment and all new to me but It does look good at moment. I'll send some pics over later.

Broadstairs is really nice - my wife's family are dotted along that coast from Broadstairs to Birchington.

Back