• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long do dry salts last?

Cor

How long do dry salts last?
I have a bag of micros here and it's completely petrified 😯, maybe because of humidity
Can I still use it, or should I throw it away and buy a new one?

Cheers Cor

Hi all,
I have a bag of micros here and it's completely petrified 😯, maybe because of humidity
Often happens. In fact it is pretty much inevitable with any fertiliser mix that contain salts that are hygroscopic <"Hygroscopic compounds – Hygroscopic Cycle">.
Can I still use it, or should I throw it away and buy a new one
You <"can still use it">. The easiest option is to oven dry the mix at a fairly low heat and then smash the mix back up with a rolling bin. If you want to keep it dry after that, either in an air tight container or the freezer.

I must admit I just put the little bags of "silica gel" (that you get with parcels etc) in bags, plastic containers of salts that I don't use very often.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I must admit I just put the little bags of "silica gel" (that you get with parcels etc) in bags, plastic containers of salts that I don't use very often.
And you can reactivate little bags of "silica gel" in an oven set at about 120C for an hour or microwave for a few mins. Lots of online guides for this. Careful of the temp because you can destroy it if it is too hot, so check the manufacturer instructions (If you can find the name on the pack).

Back