• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much light is needed?

growinghobby1234

화면 캡처 2023-07-12 155246.png
KakaoTalk_20230712_154801641.jpg

Hi does anyone know about this Hygrophila's light saturation point?
I looked up some data and I wonder if it's true that Hygrophila can live with a low amount of light while submerged.
I'm afraid I'll kill my plants with a lot of light

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.
Hi does anyone know about this Hygrophila's light saturation point?
Difficult from the quoted figures, because they are "photon flux density" values (in μmol/m2/s) and for most lights we will have lux data, or no data at all. I'll cc in @oreo57 as they are our resident light guru.

I think more relevant questions might be how are you feeding the plants? and are you going to leave them in the rockwool and pots?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I wonder if it's true that Hygrophila can live with a low amount of light while submerged.
I can't comment on the saturation point but can say that light compensation point of some Hygrophila sp is fairly low. Here we have Corymbosa "siamensis" with about 18 ~ 20 par at substrate, or in layman's terms 1 14.5w led in a 1200mm tank .
20210121_125607.jpg

I'm afraid I'll kill my plants with a lot of light
Welcome to the hobby and the forum. Don’t be afraid, the hobby should be enjoyable. The setup in the photo, with a typical LED desk lamp over a small tank will typically put it in the low to mid light values... lots of variables though...very far from the light saturation point. Hygrophila polysperma(?) should do ok with the low light you have. There are lots of others aspects that help plants to grow, have a look at the article section Articles / Tutorials . No need to get everything perfect the first time, some plants are hardier than others.

The practical points are above, feel free to disregard the finer details below... The light saturation point is just the light intensity above which extra light would be wasted as far as the plant is concerned. The plant tissue can’t use the extra energy, either due to metabolism (shade plants) or due to temperature or CO2. Contrary to what some people repeat (probably an obsession), plants like the extra CO2, the rate of photosynthesis increases with higher CO2 up to some saturation concentration. And that would explain while the study reports so much lower light saturation points for submersed growth, it’s highly likely that the experiments were not run under CO2 supplementation.
Exceeding the light saturation point, which is common in sunny locations, does not mean the plant will die. In some cases, if the light is too much and the plant can’t use it, it will start to produce pigmentation to protect itself, but even so that will only be the case for the top leaves. Lower in the canopy the plant will still make full use of the light (self-shading)
Worth mentioning, that this hobby is all about specifics. Hygrophila and Limnophila are diverse genera. Take for example the light demands of something like Hygrophila polysperma vs. Hygrophila lancea ’Chai’. The paper’s author gives values at the genus levels which doesn’t really inspire confidence.

Thank you for all the answers. The water plants were planted in the pot using soils.I'm also thinking of having additional water plants lights. Thank you.

I hate to be the lone party-pooper
Your certainly not alone...

@growinghobby1234, If you only keep potted plants thats fine and go with the utilitarian local fish store look, but you should add at least a thin layer of substrate - dark sand would be an excellent choice and perhaps a bit of hardscape. Not only will it make your fish feel safer and happier (pardon my anthropomorphism) but it will also make your Cardinals look awesome! :)

Welcome to UKAPS :)

Cheers,
Michael

Back