• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Humble and improving display tank

Learning Frogbit. I've been running the frogbit for about 2 months now and I am seeing this consistent brown discoloration. I have it in a feeding ring directly below the light, you can see the suction cup attached to the bottom of my glass lid in the pics and also in the dec18 post above. The shooters that this puts out and float around the tank tend to not have as much brown. I assume it's getting way too much light and my positioning of it just below the light is inappropriate. Regardless, perhaps some deficiencies can be indicated with this as it is currently? I don't know how to read frog bit but I usually use these two deficiency charts which indicate magnesium deficiency...? Tank does get a good chunk of magnesium sulfate in the daily macros and good bit of mg carbonate on remin. (Frogbit, Deficiency charts, and Tank Summary Attached)

Attachments

• 2023-12-13 20.22.44.jpg
    2023-12-13 20.22.44.jpg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2023-12-13 20.24.58.jpg
    2023-12-13 20.24.58.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 2024-01-06 18.15.49.jpg
    2024-01-06 18.15.49.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 2024-01-06 18.16.23.jpg
    2024-01-06 18.16.23.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 2024-01-06 18.16.37.jpg
    2024-01-06 18.16.37.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 2024-01-06 18.17.31.jpg
    2024-01-06 18.17.31.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 2024-01-06 18.19.28.jpg
    2024-01-06 18.19.28.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • plantdeficiencylabeled_Mar15_2010.jpg
    plantdeficiencylabeled_Mar15_2010.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 32
  • upload_2020-4-20_19-28-4.png
    upload_2020-4-20_19-28-4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • Tank summary_Blair_11-18-23.jpg
    Tank summary_Blair_11-18-23.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 26
I forgot to mention that since mac noted to reduce potassium, I've literally had almost no algae of any type, not even GSA. This makes me really happy, I always thought this was not possible. It's a really rewarding feeling and a sense of achievement.

I forgot to mention that since mac noted to reduce potassium, I've literally had almost no algae of any type, not even GSA. This makes me really happy, I always thought this was not possible. It's a really rewarding feeling and a sense of achievement.

@_Maq_'s potassium recommendation (that is, K < Mg by some factor - which seems less certain, but I gather K should be at least no more than half or a third of Mg.... ) works for me as well in both my tanks. Any expert advice that will lower my fertilizer load hence EC in my waters for the sake of my livestock while keeping my plants healthy I tend to run with... I've been following @_Maq_'s low K vs. Mg for at least 6 months now in both my tanks, so I know it at least wont be harmful in my environments (soft acidic waters)... whether it helped my plants I honest can't say ... I haven't been that meticulous in monitoring the plants over the last 6 months, but the vast majority of my plants are doing very well ... at least the ones that are getting light, that is :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Massive thanks to all experts here for "spoon feeding" me (quote from @Hanuman in IFC thread) Best thing i ever did was move from planted tank forum to here. As you can see here, I've got a long way to go, but at least I don't have to do it alone.
The guys on here are indeed amazing. I am merely scratching the surface with planted aquariums ( much closer to zero than 100!) and you have seen the results!

Do you have the latest picture of your aquarium @blairgerman? I'm very keen to see it!

since mac noted to reduce potassium, I've literally had almost no algae of any type, not even GSA.
Quite frankly, I think this is a mere coincidence. I'm not aware of any positive effects regarding algae when limiting potassium. In any case, I certainly follow the ratios which I preach, and I can't say I'm devoid of algae.
On the other hand, I strongly believe that high potassium (often accompanied with high nitrates) can directly or indirectly cause various nutrition imbalances. In theory, this may lead to various stresses which can, for example, limit creation of some secondary metabolites, among which there are those which deliver protection against algae. A mere speculation, yes, but a real possibility.

I'm not aware of any positive effects regarding algae when limiting potassium.
I've had some green dust algae on my Anubias for a while due to lapses with my maintenance - they are receding, but appears to be unaffected by the low K vs. Mg... I've had virtually algae free tanks when dosing high K vs. Mg. But the dynamics are quite complicated, and as you say, weakening of the plants, general imbalance induced by high K level could very well spark an algae outbreak if other factors are adverse as well. Personally I think algae is always associated with instability... there is no single dosing regime that prevents algae. Instability in terms of water parameters, waste buildup due to sloppy husbandry seems to be the biggest instigators.

Cheers,
Michael

Back