• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it possible?

I wonder if all the non-planted aquarium owners look at us in horror and declare they would never add plants to their aquarium... they don't want to turn their home into some new age water treatment plant. Who would want to have to remove handfuls of floating plants and trim back a jungle when they could just do more water changes?

I honestly think rainwater is both <"safer than tap water">
Huh. The CDC has a cautionary view on the safety of rainwater. Given the choice between the allotment shed roof runoff into our water butt and Cambridgeshire tap water, for drinking purposes I'm going with the tap water... (and you don't want to look too closely inside the water butt either).

and more sustainable than RO - <"excessive water changes?">.
Total agreement on this point.

Hi all,
Huh. The CDC has a cautionary view on the safety of rainwater. Given the choice between the allotment shed roof runoff into our water butt and Cambridgeshire tap water, for drinking purposes I'm going with the tap water...
Agreed, and no I'm definitely not recommending drinking the rainwater, just for the tanks (and garden pots). I'll clarify that in the <"linked thread">. I hadn't appreciated that there was any ambiguity until your post, but I can see there is.

In my case it wouldn't only be (potentially) some interesting pathogens, but also a fair amount of <"invertebrate protein">. Even though even tap water <"may supply this at times">.

I'm really lucky in that we've got a <"fantastic quality tap water"> (for drinking) from the tap, and I really miss it when I'm away from <"home in Cumbria"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
Who would want to have to remove handfuls of floating plants and trim back a jungle when they could just do more water changes?
I've actually had this told to me by a Discus keeper, who was vehemently opposed to plants, and said....
..... why would you want them? They are for people who are too lazy to change enough water and they shouldn't be keeping Discus in the first place, if that was their level of commitment and anyway plants didn't reduce nitrate levels or produce oxygen, it was impossible.
We then got on to a discussion about beef-heart, HMA and <"Pozzani nitrate filters">, to which his attitude was all entirely positive. After that I left that discussion.

The problem is that this person was listened to by some of the Discus keeping community and probably (indirectly) killed more fish then the Japanese Tuna fleet.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
The problem is that this person was listened to by some of the Discus keeping community and probably (indirectly) killed more fish then the Japanese Tuna fleet.
Why do I now fancy a tuna sandwich?

So more messages from Eric.

People without knowledge and experience should not copy me under any circumstances. Too often I get the less sensible question, what kind of filter do you use?These questions always come from people who want everything to be easy, without a lot of work. An aquarium always requires work, a lot of work.I highly respect those who know and can do better.Precisely because I know how much work goes into it. But ultimately I see few aquarists who can demonstrate the same results.I am proud of my system and the results I get from it without water changes.Even without me, you can have a nice discussion about this further.I wish you all much fun and success in this wonderful hobby.Kind regards, Erik Brion.
Ok that was my last input! Loads of work is waiting me. Success

Attachments

• 420513974_761326905437144_6286519375723876213_n.jpg
    420513974_761326905437144_6286519375723876213_n.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 34
So more messages from Eric.

People without knowledge and experience should not copy me under any circumstances. Too often I get the less sensible question, what kind of filter do you use?These questions always come from people who want everything to be easy, without a lot of work. An aquarium always requires work, a lot of work.I highly respect those who know and can do better.Precisely because I know how much work goes into it. But ultimately I see few aquarists who can demonstrate the same results.I am proud of my system and the results I get from it without water changes.Even without me, you can have a nice discussion about this further.I wish you all much fun and success in this wonderful hobby.Kind regards, Erik Brion.
Ok that was my last input! Loads of work is waiting me. Success
1706891634515.png

Regardless of everything thats being said about Mr. Brion's methodology, the tank is a stunning exhibition of his skills as an Aquarist!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
View attachment 215454

Regardless of everything thats being said about Mr. Brion's methodology, the tank is stunning exhibition of his skills as an Aquarist!

Cheers,
Michael
No doubt. It’s a smart looking tank and anyone would be proud to own that. It’s prompted an interesting discussion too.

In other news, just about to pull the trigger on my new filter:
IMG_5643.jpeg

I wonder if all the non-planted aquarium owners look at us in horror and declare they would never add plants to their aquarium... they don't want to turn their home into some new age water treatment plant. Who would want to have to remove handfuls of floating plants and trim back a jungle when they could just do more water changes?
I mean, a lot of people would rather change more water than learn how to grow plants. Though the benefits of plants are clear, they are extra work and expense, especially if you don't think the plant are just so neat in and of themselves.

I appreciate Eric sharing his system and while I won't be copying it personally it is fascinating. I think it's great when people go hard in their own direction, and sometimes it leads to advancements down the line the rest of us can benefit from.

I ran a 110l for 6 years with almost no water changes. Took a couple of litres out when I cleaned the internal filter sponge. Loads of plants both submerged and aerial. 6 Cory Napoensis, some otos, shoal of small tetras, and a load of male endlers. Worked fine till the seal split one night.

Back