• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Killing Me Softly

ZeeDeveel

Hi everybody!

I'd like to gradually introduce some softer water to see how my plants respond and I've recently discovered Spotless Water.

Will mixing 50:50 with my tap water reduce the hardness by 50 percent or is it more complex than that?

Should I consider using all RO and remineralizing?

Water params below. Thank you!
IMG-20221214-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20221214-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20221214-WA0032.jpg

Hi everybody!

I'd like to gradually introduce some softer water to see how my plants respond and I've recently discovered Spotless Water.

Will mixing 50:50 with my tap water reduce the hardness by 50 percent or is it more complex than that?

Should I consider using all RO and remineralizing?

Water params below. Thank you!

I tend to think there is not much point in a half way house with RO water, certainly not for plants, and definitely not for fish.

For most plants soft water isn't necessary per se, I do think growing plants in soft water makes the aquarists life slightly easier for a number of reasons, but it's by no means necessary unless you want to grow some very fussy soft water species - in which case you'd probably be better with 90-95% RO Water.

For fish though if you want to create ideal conditions for softwater species, then again a half way house doesn't provide much benefit, and against I'd still be looking at a 90-95% RO mix if you want to use tap water to part mineralise it, and only potentially increase the tap water percentage if you have shrimp that need the additional calcium.

Regardless of the usefulness of diluting tap water, the answer is yes, mixing 50:50 will reduce hardness by 50%, if this Spotless Water has zero hardness.

If you have elements in your tank that increase hardness, that could complicate things a bit.

Hi all,
No, no more complicated than that, you get a 50% reduction in both dGH and dKH when you mix in 50% RO. The pH <"probably won't drop"> because you have hard water to start with.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks all. I am still considering trying to remineralize 100 percent RO but will have to research it first.

If I do cut it with tap water is 50 percent a sensible mix? How low could I theoretically go with the tap water before I'd need to start remineralizing?

If I do cut it with tap water is 50 percent a sensible mix? How low could I theoretically go with the tap water before I'd need to start remineralizing?
Depends what sort of gH and kH you are after. I add 5ltr to 120ltr rain water (or RO) when I run out to get the water that I need.

What plants do you have? Most species won’t require soft water. In fact quite a few crypts, vallisneria need harder water.

Hi all,
I'd go for 80 : 20 RO : tap and not worry too much about differences from summer to winter. Bristol Water comes from a variety of sources, and the <"Sharpness canal water"> will be more variable through the year than the water from Chew and Blagdon lakes. Have a look at <"conductivity datum"> range.
If you used 90 : 10 RO : tap that would give you just under ~ 1 dKH. The calculations are here: <"Water Hardness">, but it is 165 / 17.86 and / or 202 / 21.8 ~ 9.25 dKH and then 9.25 / 10.

You would also have about 1.2 to 1.4 dGH. The easy way is that you can just divide the "hardness degree German" value (14) by 10 or you can use the 71 mg / L calcium (Ca) and 8.1 mg / L Mg (and the calculation in <"Some handy facts about water">)
Ca: 1 mg/L = 0.14 °dGH ....... Mg: 1 mg/L = 0.23 °dGH
Which gives you 12 dGH & 12 / 10 = 1.2 dGH in your 90 : 10 mix.

For dGH you would need to add some magnesium (Mg), almost certainly in your fertiliser and a nominal amount of calcium chloride (CaCl2.nH20), the calculations are here: <"James' Planted Tank - Re-mineralising RO Water"> and you might be interested in <"Do I need GH/CH?"> .

Personally I use rain-water and would consider that it offers most of the advantages of RO, but without the cost and environmental foot-print.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thank for your replies all.

Darrel I shall endeavour to read up on the info you've kindly provided.

So I could safely go to 80 percent RO without having to remineralize as long as I'm using ferts?

I'd happily use rainwater but don't currently have a garden!

Back