• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light mount

FrozenShivers

Has anyone made light mounts like the videos below, from extruded aluminium, but mounted to the aquarium cabinets?

- 1:00
- 4:52

Last edited:
Does it have to be made of extruded aluminum? I've made a light hanger using EMT conduit mounted to the stand.

The tool organization in that second video is really nice.

Does it have to be made of extruded aluminum? I've made a light hanger using EMT conduit mounted to the stand.

The tool organization in that second video is really nice.

Do you have pictures? I'd love to see it. Yeah it really is, his whole studio as well as his tanks are gorgeous, a lot of money has been spent but it's immaculate.

Mine could use some organization but it works. I went with two sections but I'm sure you could go with a single long one.

Went with 3/4", thought 1/2" looked too skinny in relation to tank size.
Cleaned the conduit with some steel wool pads before installing.
Light is hanging using EMT conduit hangers. The hangers could be used to mount to the stand instead of buying additional brackets.
Block of filler wood could be thicker to accommodate larger magnetic algae scrapers.
There are plastic plugs to fill in the conduit ends.

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_122051.jpg
    IMG_20231024_122051.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20231024_122146.jpg
    IMG_20231024_122146.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20231024_122211.jpg
    IMG_20231024_122211.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20231024_122256.jpg
    IMG_20231024_122256.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
Mine could use some organization but it works. I went with two sections but I'm sure you could go with a single long one.

Went with 3/4", thought 1/2" looked too skinny in relation to tank size.
Cleaned the conduit with some steel wool pads before installing.
Light is hanging using EMT conduit hangers. The hangers could be used to mount to the stand instead of buying additional brackets.
Block of filler wood could be thicker to accommodate larger magnetic algae scrapers.
There are plastic plugs to fill in the conduit ends.

Sorry for the slow reply. I've never seen a mount like that, that's certainly different, very cool! I'm after a black and more square edged aesthetic so at some point I'll try out the extruded aluminium route, might even do a future aquarium stand from the stuff...not very cheap though sadly.

Sorry for the slow reply. I've never seen a mount like that, that's certainly different, very cool! I'm after a black and more square edged aesthetic so at some point I'll try out the extruded aluminium route, might even do a future aquarium stand from the stuff...not very cheap though sadly.
Better off using flat stock for a cabinet mount.
This certainly could be modified to attach to said cabinet. 2020 ect.doesn't seem ideal for that purpose.

Or go outside the box..

Last edited:
Better off using flat stock for a cabinet mount.
This certainly could be modified to attach to said cabinet. 2020 ect.doesn't seem ideal for that purpose.

Or go outside the box..

I already have two stands similar to your second link (a Chihiros & a Week Aqua). But eventually want to have a cabinet mount. I'm not a metal expert though so I shall look up flat stock :)

A lot of people DIY these using curtain rods. They are round instead of square but you get all the hardware to mount the vertical supports to the side of the cabinet, elbows for the horizontal bit to hang your lights and available in various anodized finishes. You could consider this as an option

Back