• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting advice please

Dianepreid

Seedling
Hi
I am getting things together to start a planted tank in an old 60 L open topped tank, 60x 30x 35cm.
I have got a new arcadia ellipse 24 w plant pro unit which covers most of the top. I will be using substrate and ferts and a yeast based CO2 system. Internal filter 650 LPh. Under gravel heat cable 4w. Am I right that this alone will not be enough light to grow carpeting plants.
There is just room to add a TMC grobeam 500 resting on the condensation tray at the front, do you think this combination will be ok?
Thanks for any advice (or other suggestions for a different additional light) in advance!
Diane

Dianepreid said:
Hi
I am getting things together to start a planted tank in an old 60 L open topped tank, 60x 30x 35cm.
I have got a new arcadia ellipse 24 w plant pro unit which covers most of the top. I will be using substrate and ferts and a yeast based CO2 system. Internal filter 650 LPh. Under gravel heat cable 4w. Am I right that this alone will not be enough light to grow carpeting plants.
No, I'm afraid you are not right. 24 watts in a 60L is plenty of energy to grow anything. Also be advised that heating cables are a waste of good money as they do nothing to improve plant growth, however, having said that, they do provide heat for the tank, so this would eliminate having to buy a heater which might take up space in the tank.

Cheers,

Back