• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting

Rabb.D

hello,

i need some help with lighting, i know watts per gallon is really not practical any more, but since i don't have a par meter, i need advice whether having a 150watt metal halide supplemented with 2x39 watt HOT5 is too much for a 90x45x45cm tank which is about 40 uk gallons or 48 us gallons not sure which i should use...

is this just sufficient for a tank of that size or too much?

thanks

so its overkill? dang i really like those metal halide effect...

i mean the shimmering and the glow, obviously everything glows, but I'm sure you understand...

so what do suggest though? should i just try my luck and find a 70watt + 2x24 t5, or + 4x24? will that be sufficient...

There was a guy on here who just recently posted a thread on his tank that is lit by a 150w MH so it is possible if you can match the other requirement like C02 & ferts but most folk are content to use 2 x T5 the length of the tank.
You can get the shimmer buy using supplementary LEDs or if you really splash out by useing only LEDs!
Look at the pictures in my link to see what you can grow with two T5s though.

Thanks foxfish,

you have a really beautiful tank, and very creative with the log...

i guess the only way to figure this out is to compare and try, so i think i'll go for the 70watt +4x24 watt t5ho(a little to much?) i think i can match the ferts and co2, i'll be using seachem but dosing with EI method and i'll also be using selonoid on time so i dont think those 2 will be a problem...

i would like to go with LED to get the effect, but its really hard to get LED's here in Malaysia, unless of course I order online, which then i would have to DIY, which is where i don't have much experience, i could try, but then i also don't have the tools, which leads me to the option of commercial products...

When i think of DIY, i can never get concrete ideas in my head.. haha

Generally speaking the advised wattage would be .4w per liter so you are going to trying out 120w on your 180 liters!
Yes that is to much light, the problem comes when you try to match the C02 required as you will need perfect flow & a huge bubble count!
Like I say most experts try to use as little light as possible to get the best results not the other way around.
I have not come across 70w MH lights before but that sounds nice but you wont need the other light unless you really want to risk the very strong likelihood of algae issues!!!
Look for ceg & plainbrains post & see how they oppose strong lighting, pointing out how unnecessary it is - concentrate on C02 as that is the challenge...
Here is Plantbrains latest tank with .45 watts per litter & the tank is deep with the lights up high too.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17797&start=30

i learned about the 70 watt from reefing, and i think ADA has them too(but a little unnecessary when it comes to the price). The idea of using low wattage is something new to me, i was still going with the old school of thought, using at least 3 watt per gallon, hence my choice... so my choice now would be just the 70watt metal halide alone, thanks for the link, i'll read up

Edit: you're right.. cant find the 70watt metal halide o_O

Back