• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little 20l AIO

Another engine room post.

Added a UPS for power backup in the event of a power cut.

The room gets very cold in winter at night (1930’s detached house exposed to wind across fields). This should keep the heater and pump working for about 2 hours.

See post in thread 'Non DIY Backup Power for Heater and Pump - Any recommendations l?'
Non DIY Backup Power for Heater and Pump - Any recommendations l?

IMG_2383.jpeg

Quick full tank shot.
Been four months and the tank is really progressing nicely. I decided to add some more stuff.
I put a mini Java fern in the back left attached to a little shrimp cave.
Also added an Anubis Pinto to the back of the tree.
Lastly I moved the ledge up higher and have the Ricca a savage haircut as was blocking too much light.
Betta fish still a little shy. He comes to eat but tends to stay hidden behind things most often.
Tank must have 30+ Bloody Mary shrimp pottering around so it seems they are doing very well.

IMG_2401.jpeg

How is the Hobbit faring?
The longer hair grass swamped and killed most of it. A few leaves poke out here and there but it’s struggling.
I planted a new bit on the far front right where it’s less likely to get overgrown. Fingers crossed.
It’s definitely a harder plant than I hoped.

I've tried again, I split the pot into three, put one in high tech which has practically disappeared and two in a small low tech which seem to be just about holding on at the moment, I can only assume (probably wrongly) that they need high light and lots of CO2. I would imagine it would fare a lot better in a shallow high tech aquarium. I think I'm going to dig one up and leave it floating, see if that makes any difference.

I think overcrowding may be an issue.

The here is the “best” surviving hobbit. I think it just can’t outcompete the chaos I have around it. I have not seen any new leaves in months. I don’t think it will survive.
IMG_2405.jpeg

Here is my new one, I put in more recently. The leaves are transitioning currently. I hope to keep it a bit less overgrown in its corner. This is also the side that gets hit with the most co2 and light.
IMG_2404.jpeg

Definitely a very fussy plant, but I love the leaf colour and size.

Please let me know if you figure out how to make them thrive.

I think overcrowding may be an issue.

The here is the “best” surviving hobbit. I think it just can’t outcompete the chaos I have around it. I have not seen any new leaves in months. I don’t think it will survive.
View attachment 218691
Here is my new one, I put in more recently. The leaves are transitioning currently. I hope to keep it a bit less overgrown in its corner. This is also the side that gets hit with the most co2 and light.
View attachment 218692

Definitely a very fussy plant, but I love the leaf colour and size.

Please let me know if you figure out how to make them thrive.
Those are nice! I tried some a while back but killed all of them hahaha

Could you not clear a small space for it at the front, from your photos it's a lovely little plant that would be worth it?

I did try to keep the helanthium tenellum red a bit away from the Hobbit (and Parva) by removing bits each week at water change… but the stuff is super vigorous.
It’s starting to go red since I reduced my ferts, maybe that will slow it down.
I also thought perhaps I should cut the helanthium but thought that would look weird?
I’m new to all this so just fumbling through.

Just implemented my fish food organisation and odour management.

It’s smell proof bag (carbon lined case) with smell proof glass jars with humidity control bags inside.

I used the jars to mix different types of foods and a chalk pen to label them.

The jars came with some little airtight bags, I used them to store some other bits and bobs.

Lastly I have an odour neutraliser in there too.

I’m sure at least some of you would recognise the bags / jars as “herb guard” to keep recreational dried herbs in 🚭.

IMG_2406.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Could you not clear a small space for it at the front, from your photos it's a lovely little plant that would be worth it?
Taken your advice and gave the hairgrass at the front a good trim (and floating plant roots as some was in the substrate).
Will see if the extra light and space helps the hobbit (and pava).

IMG_2410.jpeg

Back