• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

london hardscape?

george pharma

just wondering if anyone knows a good source for hardscape rocks in london?
the maidenhead aquatics near me is a bust, tiny selection of not very interesting types of stone.
maybe a landscaping place rather than an aquarium store?

i'm trying to avoid having to take a train journey to aquarium gardens in cambridge just for rocks...

thanks for any suggestions

From King’s Cross, you go by train to Huntingdon then it’s a bus to the shop. Via Cambridge has a bit more of a walk/uber.

It’s a nice trip and I’ve done it before. You’ll get a lot of inspiration, and advice at aquarium gardens and I’m convinced their plant selection is better in person than online 👍

i've been there via train to huntingdon once before...
the idea of carting rocks back on a cab and train ride or having them sent to me after selecting them in person just seems weird but might be my only option...
You can always give Aquarium Gardens or Horizon Aquatics an idea of what you’re after and have them send you similar rocks.
i must be unlucky,
i emailed AG to ask this and their reply was basically "good luck on the train dude" ^^

Garden centres can be great places for large rocks at a lower than LFS price.
You obviously take a hit on variety.

The only real way of guaranteeing good hardscape selection in this hobby, is to build up a selection yourself over time. Buying pieces every chance you get.

Rockery stone like granite or slate buy individual pieces . As said by @seedoubleyou garden centres are a good place to start. I got 4 big chunks of rockery slate from B&M at around £30 ,good. Vaue

I went to visit Wildwoods in Enfield for the first time in over 10 years and they had some good selection of woods and rocks compared to the maidenhead in crews hill.

This is the photo of the woods as I was leaving. They also had lots of rocks and large pebbles available to buy too.

Attachments

• PXL_20240106_113008773.jpg
    PXL_20240106_113008773.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
Back