• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long Term Algae Issue, please help!

PM

I’ve had this tank up and running for 2 years now, everything in it grows well, and there’s no other types of algae except for the one pictured which covers the plants and kills them. I read that high phosphates cause this, so I tested my tap water (London tap) and found that my tap water had enough phosphate to sustain plant growth. Due to this I switched to a fertiliser with no phosphate. This did help to slow the rate of its growth - in a week or two it would cover the glass, now it’s only a small amount on the glass over a few weeks. However it is wrecking my plants. I’ve pruned it all out several times but it just comes right back once growth is a couple of weeks old.

I would really like to get this under control as I am setting up a larger tank soon and would like to transfer the plants to that, but obviously healthy and without this issue.

A bit more about the current tank:

56L VOLUME
80L 35D 20H cm
C02 injection
1ml TNC no phosphate daily
50% Water change weekly
Eheim thermo filter
Twinstar m50
Twinstar 60EA settings:

1:30 0
1:35 5
3 10
3:30 40
8:30 40
9 10
9:25 5
9:30 0

Stocking:
Cherry shrimp, 1x neon rainbow, 5x celestial pearl danios, 2x Pygmy cories, 1x Otto.

I have tried less / more ferts over months, 1ml a day seems best for plants. I’ve tried less lighting, but plants didn’t grow. Don’t know what else I can do but really want this under control as it’s ruining the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Hi all,
....... I have tried less / more ferts over months, 1ml a day seems best for plants. I’ve tried less lighting, but plants didn’t grow. Don’t know what else I can do but really want this under control as it’s ruining the tank.....
I think some of the issue is your hard London tap water, but I think the amount of phosphate (PO4---) is a red herring. I think that plant growth is compromised <"by lack of available iron (Fe)"> and iron deficiency is much more likely in hard, alkaline water.

If you look at the new leaf on the Anubias? It is <"very pale and chlorotic"> and that is nearly always a sign of iron deficiency.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

I think some of the issue is your hard London tap water, but I think the amount of phosphate (PO4---) is a red herring. I think that plant growth is compromised by lack of available iron (Fe) and iron deficiency is much more likely in hard, alkaline water.

If you look at the new leaf on the Anubias? It is very pale and chlorotic and that is nearly always a sign of iron deficiency.

Cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, that does make a lot of sense actually. Do you suggest adding more iron? Would this work with the water chemistry in mind? Do you have any suggestions?

Hi all,
Do you suggest adding more iron? Would this work with the water chemistry in mind? Do you have any suggestions?
Diagnosing nutrient deficiencies is difficult, but it is usually iron (Fe) deficiency that causes pale new leaves, because <"iron isn't mobile within the plant">.

The problem with iron is keeping it plant available. Because of this we supply iron chelated, but some chelators are better at higher pH than others . Have a look at <"How long EDTA/DTPA micros last in soft water ?"> and @KirstyF 's recent thread <"Plant deficiencies and the Fe Experiment">.

cheers Darrel

Looks like Cynabactetia is taking hold,once you check the filter and water changes etc give the tank a good cleaning ,it usually comes off glass, leaves easily ,any spots what appear on substrate just gently hose up try doing it daily as it can spread rapidly. Black tape along the front glass at substrate level will help, if it persists a blackout of 3 days and check you lighting schedule,

Looks like Cynabactetia is taking hold,once you check the filter and water changes etc give the tank a good cleaning ,it usually comes off glass, leaves easily ,any spots what appear on substrate just gently hose up try doing it daily as it can spread rapidly. Black tape along the front glass at substrate level will help, if it persists a blackout of 3 days and check you lighting schedule,
It’s definitely not cyano, it’s green spot algae type of thing. Impossible to remove without a razor, so impossible to remove from leaves.

GSA tends to affect slow growers, worse and it may help to add some fast growing stems,possibly shade the affected plants

Back