• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech - too much light - browning plants

peaches

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14837

It has been suggested on the plants forum that certain of my low light plants may be suffering from too much light. I was surprised as I thought my lighting was quite basic, but I am taking a low tech approach (I think!).

I have an 18w T8 tube which is as described above and recently fitted a new reflector. I am not yet dosing any fertilizer, and I dont have CO2. I have just put in tetraplant complete substrate and was going to give it a month before I started fertilizing. My tank is 96 litres (80cm x 30 x40). My plants are large medium and small anubias, crypts, sagittaria, java fern, bacopa monnieri and cabomba. The very edges of the leaves on the anubias and crypts are browning.

Could you advise me how many hours I need to have my lights on and if I should remove my reflector. Also should I change my bulb.

Hi
I would decrease your lighting to a 6 hour period...if you think its light related, where is your aquarium situated?
One of my aquariums is near to the veranda doors so I rarely have the light on... the crypts and anubis dont seem to mind.
hoggie

The tank is around 6 ft away from double patio doors. It does get some light, but not direct sunlight as the aspect is northerly.

I will actually miss seeing the fish if its only a 6 hour photoperiod. I am home all day and sit next to the tank. I suppose I could turn the tank lights on around 4 pm as in the daylight you can still see the fish. The other option may be some sort of LED moonlight thing. Im sorting my timer out now to shorten the photoperiod. Thanks.

Back