• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Ludwigia Repens not growing

Elilikesfish

Seedling
Hey yall, my ludwigia seems to be surviving just fine but there is no new growth. I heard it is a beginner plant and I am very new to planted tanks. I have had it for a month and the top leaves seem somewhat transparent. I have fluval substrate a sponge filter and a hygger full spectrum light. No yellowing leaves. What should I do to get it to grow and fill in.

If you're using Fluval Stratum, you still need to add fertilizer regularly- not sure where you got the idea that you don't.

I'd start with an all-in-one (there are many on the market, I use EasyLIfe Profito but I suspect it's one of the less popular ones here). Most people here use EI (estimative index) fertilizer dosing, which I'm only beginning to learn about- it's necessary if you want to add CO2, but an all-in-one is a good start if you are keeping it low-tech.

If you're using Fluval Stratum, you still need to add fertilizer regularly- not sure where you got the idea that you don't.

I'd start with an all-in-one (there are many on the market, I use EasyLIfe Profito but I suspect it's one of the less popular ones here). Most people here use EI (estimative index) fertilizer dosing, which I'm only beginning to learn about- it's necessary if you want to add CO2, but an all-in-one is a good start if you are keeping it low-tech.
Ah okay I was told I would not need ferts for 6 months with stratum. , would root tabs be a good option for ludwigia as well. I know how to make my own for a decent price.

You've been answered 😉

Your plant will require

Macro - npk
Nitrogen NO3
Phosphate PO4
POTASSIUM K

And micro nutrition
Fe
Mn
Etc...

The plant don't really care how you will supply those 🙂

Just note that some plants consuming ferts from the water more then from the soil
Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Ah okay I was told I would not need ferts for 6 months with stratum. , would root tabs be a good option for ludwigia as well. I know how to make my own for a decent price.

If this is advice you were given at your LFS (local fish shop), then you've learned your first lesson about that- their advice is usually suspect. It's a pleasant surprise to hear that they advised you not to buy something, however- usually it's the other way round,

If this is advice you were given at your LFS (local fish shop), then you've learned your first lesson about that- their advice is usually suspect. It's a pleasant surprise to hear that they advised you not to buy something, however- usually it's the other way round,
I usually do my research online first however I was a bit to eager to start this tank and resorted to store advice on substrate. Learned my lesson there! I think for my next tank I will be looking at organic soils and such for substrate. They seem more nutritious and some really famous tanks are using them

Back