• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Misers 850ltr build

Simundo

Decided to convert my discus tank to a low maintainence natural planted.

Most of the substrate is from the garden centre. Built up with 20 and 10mm shingle, moler clay and aquatic compost in bags where I want to plant, topped with Alpine grit and some feature stones. Alpine grit is quartz, intert and 5 quid a sack as apposed to the ridiculous rates some of the aquatic centres are charging for substrates. Thank is 5ft and 28" wide, so needed quite a lot.

Are there any forums where people sell plants - just to continue in the budget conscious nature of the build!

IMG_3685.jpg

Last edited:
The Sagittaria I bought from ebay. Nothing like the Tropica one, this one has broader leaves at the tips and doesn't look that happy, which is surprising as I've always found it's very tough and quickly gets going.
That sounds like emersed grown leaves, which would also explain why they are looking unhappy :)
The plant is draining nutrients from the old leaves that are not made for submersed living, and putting it out into new roots and new adapted leaves.

Tank looks lovely so far, im really liking the different sizes of gravel and pebbles you have, it looks very natural

That sounds like emersed grown leaves, which would also explain why they are looking unhappy :)
The plant is draining nutrients from the old leaves that are not made for submersed living, and putting it out into new roots and new adapted leaves.

Tank looks lovely so far, im really liking the different sizes of gravel and pebbles you have, it looks very natural
Thanks for the Sag explanation. Pleased with the tank so far - not going to waterchange unless it shows signs that it needs it.

Looking nice! I recommend adding some floating plants as well, those will have access to CO2 from the air and can lock down a lot of nutrients that way, so algae don't get a chance.

Starting to get some brown dusting - so waterchange this weekend. Some plants going really well like the Hygrophilia, some not so - Ludwiga. No crypt melt and they all look good and the moss is getting going.

Back