• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

moss ball carpet?

Ben M

hi, i was wondering if it is possible to 'unroll' moss balls, and tie them to wood/rocks so that they grow into a carpet? if so, would it look good, and how would i tie it to the object?

cheers :D

Yes its possible. Ive done it before to create an instant covering on some pieces of wood.
Bear in mind it doesnt grow much in a low tech tank, I would imagine in a high tech tank the moss will grow a little faster.

SImply unroll it and then attach with some thread. I would advise using fishing line to do this. Let us know how you get on :)

thanks, that was very informative. :thumbup: how fast would it grow in a low tech tank? and could it grow emersed in humid conditions?

cheers :D

Growth will be very slow in a low tech tank. I've got three in a shrimp tank and they look exactly the same as the day I put them in... over a year ago! :lol:

Emersed.. not sure. Its a form of aquatic algae from what I know, so I would think they wouldn't do too well above water.

mlgt said:
Yes its possible. Ive done it before to create an instant covering on some pieces of wood.
Bear in mind it doesnt grow much in a low tech tank, I would imagine in a high tech tank the moss will grow a little faster.

SImply unroll it and then attach with some thread. I would advise using fishing line to do this. Let us know how you get on :)
Does the moss/algae attach it self to the wood eventually or does it need to be permanently tied on?

I *think* it needs permanently tying but I can test it out later for you.
If you break them in to tiny little pieces you can make them go much further than in that video.
It Took my marimo about 4 months to entirely cover the fishing line that was tying it onto the rock but i now have a little pad of green :D
Its always been in a very dimly lit tank with 0 c02 or ferts.
It can be kept out of water for huge ammounts of time, providing its kept wet. (im talking a few months)

I suspected it might need permanent tying too, if you could have a look I would be grateful. I wonder if superglue would hold it down a bit more discretely?

Back