• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mould type algae

Vanish

I have recently added some vine wood to my aquarium. Today I noticed some algae that looks like a white mould or even a bit like a fog on the wood.
Any ideas on what it is?
Here's a pic.
u5e5uqe8.jpg

Thanks for that. Also on the plus side the bristle nose seems rather fond of it

Hi there,
its generally a mould which forms from sap residues still within the wood, harmless but ugly. Constant scrubbing and syphoning will rid it eventually, pre soaking the wood for a long period of time helps minimise it, but a clean up crew, ottos or amano shrimp seem to relish it :)
Heres a couple of other links to similar issue:
Seeping Wood | UK Aquatic Plant Society
Mould on wood | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I would say that vine wood looks great, but long term maybe isnt the best choice for aquariums...i had issue with it 'rotting' after about 10 months in the tank. Ok if you dont plan on running it for that long, but i found after this length of time it grew another fungus/mould which brought to my attention the rot. When i removed it it was very soft and the branches 'folded' which confirmed the problem:
Fluval Studio 900...'Dragons Crypt' Journal finished.

Heres a link to a thread about vine wood, within it is a quote i took from PFK who did an article on aquarium safe woods, vine wood was mentioned as not suitable as it is a softwood, and softwoods rot quickly in aquariums:
grape vine wood | UK Aquatic Plant Society

like i said though, it took nearly a year for there to be an issue for me so you may be ok.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Some great advice there, well worth bearing in mind. I'll keep an eye out for any further issues in the future.
Cheers

Algae is big problem on wood. It should be removed by scrubbing with the help of a nylon-bristle scrub brush of long handle. The size of brush will depends upon the tank size.

Back