• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Nature style?

Aqua360

Hi all,

Basic 45cm low iron tank. Hummed and hawed over it, considered using something with more depth, but decided to see how it goes with this.

Leaning towards nature style mostly, I managed to pick up some driftwood at the weekend and this was my go to shape, thoughts?

Main concern I have is planting room, the wood is closely stacked together, so I'd have to probably use epiphytes mostly for the middle, or consider spacing out more.
PXL_20220912_184716684.jpg
PXL_20220912_184724244.jpg

Hi

I had a big chunk of wood in my low-tech nano tank. Unfortunately it was too big and getting the water to flow around the tank was almost impossible. I also found that the epiphytes high up on the wood were magnets for algae. What’s more it cast a lot of shadows.

The wood was removed and replaced with a random assortment of cobbles, plants and one small piece of bogwood. I call it the ‘chaos’ style of aquascaping. The shrimp seem to like it and the plants are growing well with minimal algae.

I think what you have is fine. I wouldn’t go for anything bigger than the hardscape you have already.

Hi

I had a big chunk of wood in my low-tech nano tank. Unfortunately it was too big and getting the water to flow around the tank was almost impossible. I also found that the epiphytes high up on the wood were magnets for algae. What’s more it cast a lot of shadows.

The wood was removed and replaced with a random assortment of cobbles, plants and one small piece of bogwood. I call it the ‘chaos’ style of aquascaping. The shrimp seem to like it and the plants are growing well with minimal algae.

I think what you have is fine. I wouldn’t go for anything bigger than the hardscape you have already.
good point :)
Not sure if i'm using too much wood here, and if it's too 'basic' looking at the moment

One think I have noticed in my tanks and many others viewed over time is that unless you are going for some specific feature that will permanently be kept clear and cleaned, hardscape layout doesn't have to be perfect.
I've spend hours arranging things just how I want them, and then within a few months they are covered in plant growth and barely visible haha

I think this will look good once planted, that wood looks great for some buce or anubias and a nice java on the flat shallow area on the top of the left most piece.

Back