• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neutro T or Neutro +?

x-sun

Seedling
Hi all,
Newbie here, in dire need of advice, before my brain melts.
Can anyone tell me which one I need for my setup?

I have already planted some Tropica 'Easy' category plants (from Aquaessentials) in my tank but still no fish yet.
These are: Eleocharis sp. - Cryptocoryne wendtii "green''. - anubias barteri var. caladiifolia.
I have planted lightly, but not too thin, I think.

My tank spec is:
60cm x 30cm x 30cm = 54l ( 45l after hardscape/substrate )
Gravel substrate only
15W T8 in ordinary hood = 0.33 watts per litre.
Fluval U2 filter (with Carbon) 400 litres per hour ( just shy of 10X i think )

Temp 25 deg C
Dechlorinated with Tetra Aquasafe

I'm planning on stocking the following fish, if it helps: 3 x Cherry Barbs 6 x Harlequin Rasbora & 5 x Glowlight Tetras. = 83% stocking lvl (with oversized filter) based on the calculator at Thinkfish.

should I rely on the fish waste for macro nutrients and dose the water column with Neutro T or ignore it and dose with Neutro +?

I'm also not sure which outlet to use on the fluval. The top outlet says it's for maximum circulation and oxygenation. The spray bar, say it's for gentle even circulation, for planted aquariums. then the bottom outlet, says it's for deep water agitation. will I need to add an air pump if I don't use the top outlet?

I'm really just trying to wade through what seems like lots of contradictory info, to a Noob, at the moment. Any general advice for growing healthy plants in this setup would be much appreciated.

Thanks
x-sun

should I rely on the fish waste for macro nutrients and dose the water column with Neutro T or ignore it and dose with Neutro +?
Hello,
The answer depends on where you live. If you live in an agricultural zone then the odds are that nutrient runoff fortifies your tap water. So if you are not adding any form of enriched carbon, such as gas injection or liquid Carbon products, your tap and fish waste will be sufficient. If you live in a nutrient poor zone then it is not a good idea to depend on fish waste and you should add weekly or bi-weekly addition of NPK and traces.

I would always suggest that to cover all bases, no matter where you live, to get the Neutro+ This is a NPK+Trace formula, whereas the Neutro T is just trace element mix. I guess that's what the "T" should stand for (it's the only logical possibility). So if it is determined, later that you r municipal tap water is high in NPK, then, if you wish, just using the NeutroT. It never matters if you use more than necessary. It only matter when you DON'T have enough nutrients in the water or sediment that trouble begins.

Cheers,

Back