• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Here - Looking for Advice

ldavison10

Seedling
Hi,
I have a 60 litre aquarium which i have had no success with plants. Being green i bought some fertiliser and have been adding it as per the recommended dose. Now i realise the problem isnt fertiliser only, but my bulb which is a 15w Sun Glo. Reading around it seems this isnt suitable for plants at all.
The hood has only 1 fitting so i want to make sure the replacement is the most fitting to keep the plants alive and the fish looking good. I dont know my plant species, i just pointed and they bagged - im new lol.
I was looking at power glo but no one seems to sell that brand locally (not going to risk postal).
The other option is an arcadia 15w original tropical lamp which ive googled and it looks verrryyy pink, not great for a lounge centre peice. Im used to a yellowish shine and i dont think a heavy pink would sit well with me.
There is the arcadia freshwater lamp but would this be okay for the plants / would it make the fish look ok or washed out?
Just need some advice quickish as my plants (got 5) are turning gradually yellow and i dont want to lose this lot.

Thanks
Lee

Hello,
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Check this page Lampspec where you'll see some screw-in type bulbs in the 8-20 watt range. You don't have to buy from there if you can find similar locally. It's probably a better idea to get a T8 fluorescent lamp and bulb for your size tank as there are better color choices, however if you are limited to the fitting in your hood then try these. Brand name is not really important. Incandescent or halogen bulbs can work but the are inefficient and produce mostly heat.

You should also probably indicate just exactly what brand of fertilizer you are using.

If you want to identify aquatic plants then you should compare what you have to the plant catalog shown on Tropica Plant List

Be advised that it's entirely possible that you were sold non-aquatic plants which is a common occurrence in local shops, who often don't know the difference themselves.

Cheers,

Back