• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New set up - dying plants

dannydee

Hello folks,

I've had new tank going a week now. It's a low tech 112ltr set up and I've been dosing 5ml profito and liquid carbon everyday and so far done two 50% water changes. I have 1.5wpg.

My problem is all the plants seem to be dying. Leaves turning brown with some of them dropping off.

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to turn this around? The plants that I'm trying to grow are Anubias nana, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila stricta, Lilaeopsis nova-zelandae, Microsorium pteropus, Microsorium pteropus Narrow, Proserpinaca palustris and Vesicularia ferrei.
The only ones that still look ok are the Anubias nana!!

Please help!!

Dan

Hi,
If you are enriching the tank with carbon then it does not count as low tech. This is a high tech tank but you are not using enough carbon. Leaves turning brown = poor CO2. You'll need to add much more of the liquid carbon. When you do that you'll need to add a Nitrogen and Phosphate source.

Cheers,

dannydee said:
Cheers ceg,

Will dosing with TPN+ as well as what I'm using already do the trick?

Regards,
Dan

Dan

TPN + contains NPK which you need to add to support the plants requirements for good growth.

Regards
Paul.

Most of plants are grown above water. When you plant them to tank most of old leaves may just die out and new leaves can be completely different submersed than emerged. Also plant just need some time to adjust to new parameters. For example my blyxa japonica completely melted away and after 2-3 weeks I see new growth, most of HC cuba old leaves got brown but then got new green shoots instantly, I had 2 anubias nana one melted away one survived and growing, echinodorus tennelus same story. Give it time and you will see. Just add fert. as suggested above and yo should see growth later.

Cheers Radik,

I was just panicking a bit, the tank looked so good newly planted but slowly started to fad in front of my eyes. I have decided to give dry ferts a try. Paul from the forum has kindly agreed to work out my dosage for me, so I should be on the right track in no time at all.

Cheers

I know that feeling I had same but now plants are flourishing. I am also using easy liquid carbo and I would say they are growing too fast now I have to trim them every 2 weeks. Btw add some oto's fish they will help you eating decaying plants and won't touch healthy if your tank is cycled already. I have 3 in 10G nano so you may want around 6, they are really helpful little clean crew.

dd,

In addition to the advice above, you may also want to think about/check the flow in your tank - you want to make sure the liquids you're dosing are getting reasonably evenly distributed around the tank so they reach all the plants.

Sif

Back