• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New setup substrate question

Lemna

Hi folks,

New member here. I've been keeping various community fish for many years in a very basic setup. I've recently had to buy a new tank (old one is still running at the moment), and am very keen to create a planted aquascape style aquarium. It will need to be relatively low-tech. I've bought a Juwel Rio 125 as this is the largest tank I can fit into the space I have and it seemed like a neat design. I'm planning on running the standard LED lights that come with the tank, at least initially.

Much has changed since I started out. Substrates have got me particularly bamboozled....

I currently have a relatively course grained standard inert gravel in my existing old setup, as I used to run an undergravel filter years ago. I am tempted to buy a bag of Tropica Aquarium Soil and either mix it with my current gravel, or use it as a base layer and put my gravel on top. I'm aware that I will need to go through the initial water changes etc to remove the nutrient spike, but otherwise are there any issues with doing this?

Alternatively I could simply re-use my current gravel and use root tabs. This would be much cheaper but I'm aware that the large grain size might not be best for the plants? Will there be enough nutrients to support growth? I am not planning on growing anything especially fussy, but do want to acheive a lush and fully planted style.

Any substrate advice gratefully received, thank you.

I think it all boils down with how adventurous you're feeling, within the boundaries of reason of course. I have regular dirt mixed with sand and topped with very fine gravel. Runtime three years and a year and a half on both aquariums, no issues. If you monitor parameters after adding it, your initial idea seems, at least to me, just fine.

Tropica Substrate might be an option ,this is a layer for covering. Might be a good time to change the coarse gravel with sand ,gives a safer option if adding something like Corydoras

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've read the substrates guide by George Farmer already - some useful information in there, but a lot of substrates available are not covered (I do realise its an impossible job to cover everything!)

I keep changing my mind on what to use, but am strongly tempted to do away with my course gravel and go for silica sand. Am undecided on root tabs or aquatic soil still.

Much has changed since I started out. Substrates have got me particularly bamboozled....
Hi Lemna, like you I was out of the hobby for a long time and recently set up a planted tank, having come from the days of gravel and undergravel filters! I went with aquasoil, which initially I thought may have been a mistake as it first made the water black (someone said not to rinse it first). Then I tried to wash it, thinking it would eventually run clear like most substrates, but it never did. I must've lost a lot of it doing that! Really, it just needs a light wash and then very slowly add the water and wait for it to clear. I was also a bit frustrated at how light it is when putting in carpeting plants, but you soon get the hang of planting in it and it becomes simple. What is really nice is that if you want to remove or move a plant, you can simply slowly pull it out and all the roots come out intact. So easy. Very good for rearranging your plants. About 6 months in and the plants are all doing really well, and I'd not use anything else for a planted aquarium in future. There is a good reason the top aquascapers use it. Give it a go.

Back