• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie Tank Set Up

Vix

Seedling
Hello, I've been lurking on here for a while and have gathered so much info that I think my head is going to explode!

Firstly I hope I've placed this post in the correct part of the forum, apologies if not!

Let me just share my soon to be new set up with you all in the hope I can get my head around things ;)

Tank - 200L 100x40x50
Filtration - Eheim 2224
Substrate - Tesco cat litter - natural gravel - playsand
Lighting - Arcadia twin T5 controller either 24w or 39w
Hardscape - Driftwood with some interesting rocks from lfs (sorry I have no idea what they're called)
Plants - Java fern, crypts of various kinds (I've had success with these in my current mish mash tank), Anubias and mosses.

This will be my first attempt at a proper planted tank and I'd like to go low tech to start with with the view to adding a CO2 system when I can afford to do it properly, the lighting unit allows to me to either use x2 24 or 39w bulbs and I'm planning on buying 24w to start with.

My mind is in overload at the moment, I'm wondering will the lighting be not enough and as for dosing ferts I'm completely at a loss, I'd like to start with an all in one liquid fert which is easy to cope with for a newbie.

My idea is to have a sloping substrate with the focus on a sandy beach area towards the middle.

Sorry for being so vague, I don't have the tank just yet but am gathering bits and pieces ready for setting up hopefully between Christmas and New Year and I thought I'd better atleast start posting on here to get some feedback on my plans.

I'll start a journal once I have the tank but expect failure to start with ;) although if I can get crypts growing in my other tank then I think I can get them going in the new set up :)

Cheers

Vicky

Thanks Arana :)

I was thinking of getting 2 x 24w bulbs to start with until I decide what CO2 route I'm going to take then I shall most likely upgrade to 2x 39w, would that be enough light to start with for low light plants but not too much to cause algae issues? tank is going to be 200ltr 100x40x50. (around 52 US gallons)

Hi Vix, You can grow majority of plants on the low light it'l just take longer for them to grow, which if you're just starting out would be the better option. The higher the light the more (when you get round to it) the more co2 & ferts and more problems etc. Try to concentate on getting good flow around the tank.... the x10 rule, the lighting should be one of the lower things on the list. I would say start out with the lower lighting then when you get a bit more experience upgrade then. :)

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Going 2x 24 on the lights to start with.

Got the tank yesterday, getting a few more things together but will start a journal when I get the chance.
Would I need to place the inlet one end and the outlet at the other or would it be better to have the spray bar along the back of the tank pointing forwards for flow in that direction instead?

Sorry for the boring questions ;)

Vix i'd personally put the spray bar in myself, it may slow the flow a little but I think they look neater. If your intentions are to get co2? On a 200 litre tank you would benefit from an inline reactor such as the Aquamas or Aqua Medic, which you would then benefit also with the spray bar going all the way along the back wall of the tank to distribute the co2 better. :)

Back