• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Non-return valve letting water through

jmkgreen

I bought a TMC Aquagrow non-return value from aquaessentials. It is now hooked up together with a bubble counter to an UP CO2 "reactor" inline with the return pipe to the tank.

Trouble is, very slowly water is coming back through the non-return value and collecting in a glass jar that the co2 tubing end point is terminating in.

The valve itself is upright (words written on the side are) attached to the side of the tank. Above it is the bubble counter. I thought this was all the right way of doing things?

What might I have done wrong? I can't actually see properly how the device is supposed to work, after all the small red "bit" inside the glass is able to move up and down although it rests at the bottom all the time.

These non return valves do tend to do this, None of them that I have used worked particularly well. If your using the glass type bubble counter and its directly above the non return valve, when the gas supply is off some water will be drawn down into the valve. A bit of moisture in these valves actually helps them work better, but can cause them to stick a bit which then makes the bubble counter seem a bit erratic. You could try lining the non return valve and the buble counter up side by side. That worked for me. But I no longer use a bubble counter. Sounds like you have everything the right way round though, if that helps.

Hi

This is one of the problems with a glass non return valve even if you have set it up correctly with the tapered part of the glass tube at the bottom as per the picture on the web page of the seller. Any water that passes pass the red plastic piece will be force back passed the red plastic piece into the bubble counter by the pressure of the co2 gas - I tired some and had the same issues, I think they are used more for ascetic purposes only as any glassware within / on a aqaurium looks good.

Regards
Paul.

Back