• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nymphaea Lotus not growing

Lotus is a great indicator of changes. The melting was because of the different condition. I usually tell my clients that the plant will lost all of its leaves after relocation but will grow new ones shortly. Lotus is a real survivor. That's the reason why it is used in warmer discus tanks too. May need a little time.

In the past i got some bulbs which did not had any roots leaves etc. from 10 bulb almost 9 never started.

So when you buy this plant better to go with the potted version or the smal one which has a few leaves and roots.

Maybe a bottom fertilizer would be appreciated by the plant.

I loved this plant as this was the fastest indicator in my tank. Whenever something changed i've seen on their leaves. Ferts, co2, temps etc.

I also seen that with some additional iron the color was much nicer.

WOW beautiful scapes LD !

When I bought the plant, it was potted, with about 6 leaves, Not much of a root system, but that's not always obvious with the Tropica potted plants. I expected to lose the leaves because of the change from shop to home. I didn't expect it to not grow for 18 months! I thought it was dead for a year and it's just shown a few sprouts, but they don't look happy.

It has had bottom ferts as well as in the water.

I've moved the corm, and moved the filter outflow slightly so that it's in a calmer place and hopefully brighter too. Have put a slow release fert tab in the substrate below it, so going to have to wait and see now. There are 3 spot on the corm with shoots, but it could just be teasing me :-/

Does anyone actually rest their nymph species like it says in the article? Just curious, it does say that they will grow year after year without resting. Maybe a lower nutrient level or no substrate ferts triggers this plant to go into melt down as a defence mechanism so it can store in the bulb. That would certainly explain why they do it when coming in from the shop where I doubt they add any fertiliser. Maybe people are buying them or getting them in this period which would also explain why some plants do ok while others die off both in that same tank.

My nymph came with a small leave, I then planted it in my tank, a couple of more leaves emerged but didn't really grow. It then lost all leaves from the bulb. The bulb was knocking about my tank and did nothing for about five months. Then, all of a sudden a few wee shoots appeared then over the past month it has come on great guns, half a dozen good sized, proper leaves and one which looks like it'll be heading for the surface. The funny thing is, this growth happened after my CO2 supply ran out (Christmas eve, try getting a FE filled over Christmas - impossible!) and I haven't got the CO2 going again yet (blocked atomiser) or been dosing any ferts. And my photoperiod is shorter. All things which, to me, wouldn't really conducive for encouraging growth in a previously difficult plant.

Looking at LD's pics, the Nymph appears to be able to get quite large. Mine is currently centre front, obviously that's not a place for a big plant. Will it be ok to move later when it gets bigger? Also is it best practice to trim any upwardly mobile leaves that are going for the surface?

Back