• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Parameters in water that are cumulative

castle

I read this; and I’d like to understand this

There are many things in tap water that are cumulative and will never go away no matter how many water changes you perform. Some metals get in the substrate and rocks and its there from now on. You are better off starting and staying with RO/DI from the beginning.

I read this here: Can you use treated tap water in reef tank? Water options?

Is this true? It just doesn’t make sense to me, but it could just mean I don’t know enough about water chemistry 👍

Is it more that the metals in the substrate bind with other elements and then, get heavier and stay in substrate?

If there was no substrate, would the statement still be true?

It is probably referencing metals such as trace elements that may react in water and form insoluble salts that accumulate in the substrate/filter until some sort of microbial biochemical reaction makes it viable again, if ever. But this will probably happen regardless of the water source you use, since you are probably dosing micros which will end up at least partially in the filter or the substrate. From what it is said, this behavior is common with iron, since it is sometimes dosed in much larger concentrations than actually consumed, as a way to compensate for this known behavior of forming insoluble precipitates.

Tap water may introduce other metals which are not dosed via micro mixes, such as heavy metals. If they accumulate or not, that's beyond my understanding, but plants probably absorb some of them, and precipitates may be removed if they get trapped in the filter or if they are siphoned out when cleaning the substrate...

Back